Sightseeing In Plovdiv

1,290 views

Published on

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
1,290
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
9
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
8
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Sightseeing In Plovdiv

  1. 1. Plovdiv’s amfitheatre
  2. 2. The amfitheatre <ul><li>Deep in the heart of Plovdiv city center lies the Plovdiv theatre. The theatre stands between the south-western slope of the Dzhambaz Tepe and the Taxim tepe hill within the old town, and is a major tourist attraction for travelers coming to the area. </li></ul><ul><li>The theatre was built in the 2nd century AD under the orders of Trajan the Roman Emperor at this time, and is the largest surviving Roman construction in Bulgaria today. </li></ul><ul><li>Built with around 7,000 seats, each section of seating had the names of the city quarters engraved on the benches so the citizens at the time knew where they were to sit. </li></ul>
  3. 3. The old town <ul><li>Currently, Plovdiv is a modern city with an ancient spirit and charm, emanating from its numerous remains of old times. No doubt the biggest sight of Plovdiv is The Old Town. The Old Town is declared an archeological reserve and covers the three-hill area where the town was located originally. Almost all historical sights of Plovdiv can be found there – religious sanctuaries, old residential and public buildings, archeological monuments and museums, fortress walls and narrow cobbled streets. The most impressive building of Roman times is the Ancient Roman Amphitheatre, situated close to the southern entrance of the former Roman fortress. The amphitheatre, which is the best preserved building of that time in Bulgaria, was built by Emperor Mark Aurelius in 2nd c. AC. Other landmarks within the old town are the Nebet Tepe archeological complex, the Phillipopolis. </li></ul>
  4. 4. Plovdiv Roman Stadium <ul><li>The Plovdiv Roman Stadium is among the largest Roman structures in the Balkans. The massive edifice is 180 long and had a capacity of over 30,000. It is believed that it was built during the reign of Septimus Severus (193-211). </li></ul><ul><li>Today, the stadium is located in the centre of the city, under the main trade centres. Only part of the edifice can be observed from the Dzhumayata Square, the larger portion is still underground. Further excavation would be very difficult and costly. </li></ul><ul><li>The stadium is one of the many Roman remains in the city which include the best preserved Theatre in the Balkans; the ruins of the Agora; a second theatre; remains of an aqueduct, temples and villas with some magnificent frescoes. </li></ul>
  5. 5. The sights of the town <ul><li>The Eirene Archaeological Complex </li></ul><ul><li>It is at the southern base of Trimontium, on the northern side of the ancient street in the Archaeological underground pedestrian crossing. The archaeological site consists of ruins from a representative building erected in the 3rd – 4th century, which probably functioned as the residence of some eminent citizen of Philippopolis. Eirene is the Christian name of Penelope – a maiden from the city of Megadon, who converted to Christianity in the 2nd century. In the representative part of the building the rooms are with multicoloured floor mosaics that are impressive with their geometric and figural ornamentation. </li></ul><ul><li>Orthodox church of St. Kyriaki (Sveta Nedelya in Bulgarian) </li></ul><ul><li>It is located at 40, Petko R. Slaveykov Street. The church was built in its present appearance in 1831 – 1832 by the master builder from Bratsigovo Petko Petkov. It is a three-nave pseudo-basilica, 31 m long, 24 m wide and 16 m high. The dome of the middle nave is 9 m in diameter and is supported by twelve columns symbolizing the Twelve Apostoles. The iconostasis was made of walnut wood at the time of the Bulgarian National Revival by the artist woodcarver Yane Spirov. </li></ul><ul><li>Orthodox Church of St. Constantine and Helena </li></ul><ul><li>It is located at 24, Saborna Street. After the church had been destroyed many times, it </li></ul><ul><li>was restored in its present appearance in 1830 – 1832 over the foundations of the oldest </li></ul><ul><li>Early Christian church in Plovdiv. There is a unique iconostasis with gilt. The old icons of </li></ul><ul><li>Sts Constantine and Helena, and of the Holy Mother of God, are preserved. The icons of </li></ul><ul><li>the iconostasis are the work of Zahari Zograph – a famous icon-painter from the National Revival period. </li></ul>
  6. 6. … <ul><li>The Nikola Nedkovich house </li></ul><ul><li>It is situated at 3, Tsanko Lavrenov Street. The house was built in 1862. Its architecture skillfully combines the artist’s ideas with the aesthetics and convenience corresponding to the requirements for the representative buildings at that time. The ceilings on the first floor are entirely covered with woodcarving, the rooms are planned symmetrically on both sides of a wide hall. They are richly decorated and each has its own function and purpose: the green room is the room for the womenfolk (or for the mother of the family), the red room is the lounge, the lilac room is the dining room, and the orange room – the living room. The house is furnished in the late Baroque style. </li></ul><ul><li>The house of Dimitar Georgiadi </li></ul><ul><li>The house of Dimitar Georgiadi (1, Tsanko Lavrenov) was built in 1848 by the rich Plovdiv merchant Georgi Kendindenoglu, who was Georgiadi’s father-in-law. This house is an example of a typical symmetrical Plovdiv house from the mid-19th century. Its architecture combines a high ground floor and two floors with protruding bay windows, the middle one being arc-shaped and ending in its upper end with a pediment shaped like a yoke. Currently the house is the museum of the national Revival period, with a rich collection of objects, ancient weapons and photographs. </li></ul><ul><li>Hissar Kapi – the Eastern gate of the acropolis of Philippopolis </li></ul><ul><li>It dates back to the time of the Byzantine Emperor Justinian the Great (527 – 565 AD), who fortified it together with the fortification walls and defence towers of the city. Its present-day appearance is from the 14th century. </li></ul>
  7. 7. The End! <ul><li>Made by Dimitrela Rupcheva I Ivanina Dinkova </li></ul>

×