• A bank is a financial institution whose primary
activity is to act as a payment agent for customers
and to borrow and lend money.
• Banks are important players in financial markets
and offer financial services such as investment
• In some countries such as GERMANY, banks are the
primary owners of industrial corporations .
• While in other countries such as the UNITED
STATES banks are prohibited from owning non-
HISTORY OF BANKING
• The first banks were probably the
religious temples of the ancient world.
• It was probably established sometime during the
third millennium B.C. Banks probably predated
the invention of money.
• There are extant records of loans from the 18th
century BC in Babylon that were made by temple
priests or monks to merchants.
BANKING IN INDIA
• Banking in India originated in the last decades of
the 18th century.
• The first banks were THE GENERAL BANK OF
INDIA, which started in 1786, and BANK OF
HINDUSTAN, both of which are now defunct.
• The oldest bank in existence in India is the STATE
BANK OF INDIA, which originated in the BANK
OF CALCUTTA in June 1806.
• The first fully Indian owned bank was the
ALLAHABAD BANK, established in 1865.
Major players in India
• State Bank of India
• HDFC Bank
• ICICI Bank
• HSBC Bank
• IDBI Bank
• City Bank
• Axis Bank
• Punjab national Bank
• ING Vysya Bank
• Union Bank of India
• Housing Development Finance Corporation
• Founded in 1977 by Hasmukh bhai Parakh
• HDFC Bank was incorporated in August 1994
• Among the first in new generation commercial banks
• Registered office in Mumbai, India
• Promoted by HDFC, the parent company
• IPO in India in 1995
• Listed in NSE, BSE, NYSE(ADR)
PROFILE OF HDFC BANK
• Type Public
• Founded 1994
• Headquarters HDFC Bank Ltd.,
• Industry Banking, Insurance,
Capital Markets and
• Products Loans, Credit Cards,
vehicles, Insurance etc.
• Net revenue Rs.2,509.6 crores
• Net income Rs. 4,634.3 crores
• Website www.hdfcbank.com
• 761 branches
• 1977 ATM’s in the country
• 327 cities in India
• All branches are OLRT connected
• 16 branches in Middle east
• 6 in Africa
• Representative offices in Hong
Kong, NewYork, London &
• World Class Indian Bank
• Benchmarking against international standards.
• Best practices in terms of product offerings,
technology, service levels, risk management
and audit & compliance.
• To build sound customer franchises across
• Increasing market share in India’s expanding
• Delivering high quality customer service.
• Delivering more products to more customers.
• Maintaining current high standards for asset
quality through disciplined credit risk
• Develop innovative products and services that
attract targeted customers and address
inefficiencies in the Indian financial sector.
• Travellers Cheques : Travellers Cheques are a safe
and easy way to protect your money when you travel.
You can encash them only when you need to, and
only against your signature, unlike cash which can
be stolen and misused by anybody, immediately.
• Credit Card : Credit Card can be used for all your
requirements, be it shopping, eating out, holidaying,
fuelling up your vehicle, railway ticket reservations
• Home loan : Home loans for individual to purchase
or construct houses.
• Personal Loans : The procedure of personal loan is
simple, documentation is minimal and approval is
• Foreign Currency Cash : Foreign Currency Cash is a
convenient way of meeting personal expenses along your
journey, paying for taxis / internal travel, food expenses etc.
• Foreign Currency Demand Drafts : Demand Drafts are
issued in seven currencies like United States Dollars (USD),
Great Britain Pounds (GBP), EURO, Japanese Yen (JPY),
Australian Dollars (AUD), Canadian dollars (CAD) and New
Zealand Dollars (NZD).
• Foreign Currency Cheque Deposits : We can directly
deposit our foreign currency cheques in to our saving or
• Remittances : HDFC Bank offers the remittance facilities by
which we can send and receive money to anyone. They are
categorized depending on location and the urgency with
which we want the money transferred.
• Trade Service : HDFC Bank have people with
high level of expertise and experience in trade
services to provide services to suit specific
requirements and structure solutions for
• HDFC Bank have 500 branches for trade
• Mutual funds : Mutual funds are funds that pool
the money of several investors to invest in equity
or debt markets.
• Insurance : HDFC Bank offers a world of choice
in insurance. Like – children future plans,
retirements plans, standard life, etc.
• HDFC Bank merged with TIMES BANK in 2000.
• HDFC Bank wins the Asian Banker Best Retail Bank in
India Award 2008 for outstanding performance.
• HDFC Bank chosen as one of Asia Pacific’s best 50
companies by Forbes magazine.
• 'Best Bank in the Private Sector 2008.'
• HDFC Bank ties up with Qatar National Bank.
• HDFC Bank merged with CENTURION BANK OF
PUNJAB in 2007.
• HDFC follows the model of a sound
• The bank was amongst the first four
companies, which subjected itself to a
Corporate Governance and Value
Creation (GVC) rating by CRISIL
• A very sound and effective risk
management system in place to
create a less risk assets portfolio.
• Uses Neural Technologies for risk
management in its Credit Cards and
other Retail Assets portfolios
• Launch 250 new branches.
• HDFC Bank plans to raise Rs 4,200 crore in
• Relocate branches to un-banked rural Punjab.
• HDFC Bank plans to set up NBFC.
• Demographics variables
- Metros & divisional cities
- Business person
- Salaried class (both govt. & private)
- Senior citizens
• psychographic variables
- People who believes in modern banking with higher set of
service i. e. internet banking (incontact, mobile refill, travel
currency card etc.)
• Target market
▫ Corporate banking market : this market target the
industries & fulfill their financial needs.
▫ Capital market : this segment is targeted on the long
term needs of the individual as well as of industries.
▫ Retail banking market : this segment is for retail
investors & provide them short term financial credit
for their personal, house hold needs.
• HDFC Bank has positioned itself as a bank which
gives higher standard of services through product
innovation for the diverse need of individual &
corporate clients. So they want to highlight
following points in their positioning segment :
• I appriciate you for hearing Me
• I thank google and wiki to help me in finiding
out unknown data
• I dono but I did my best to present
• This is my fav. Bank