1. Improve student achievement and student
2. Develop college and career readiness skills.
PASS PROGRAM PROCESS
1. Counselor meets with each student bi-weekly
to review progress and to provide support for
each student’s goal attainment.
2. Small group presentations are provided every
other month on the following topics: (1)
Study Skills, (2) Test Taking Skills, (3) College
and Career Readiness Skills and (4) Personal
and Social Development Skills.
PASS PROGRAM REWARDS
To motivate and reward student achievement
and effort, the PASS program provides the
following rewards to students:
1. Verbal Praise and Recognition
2. Gift Cards
3. Free Tacos from Taco Bell
4. Pizza Party
1. I want to pass all of my classes for the next two
2. What key behaviors must I do to achieve my
goal of passing all my classes for the next two
Key Behaviors: Have no more than three absences,
complete all of my assignments, devote 1.5 hours of
homework/study time each night.
3. How will I track my progress? I will use Student
Connect. I will inform my parents. I will talk to my
teachers. I will talk with my counselor.
College and Career Readiness
What Are Your Three Rules for
Here is what German philosopher
Immanuel Kant (1724-1804) said:
1. You need something to do.
2. You need someone to love.
3. You need something to hope for.
What’s the Point?
We will focus on the area of “doing something”
which can lead to happiness.
GOAL: You will learn a strategy for career and
All students will be able to identify the three
steps of the career and college readiness
strategy and identify 18 public colleges in
Michigan with a minimum postest score of 80%.
1950 VS. 2014
In 1950, 60% of the jobs were classified as unskilled,
attainable by young people with high school diplomas or
In 2014, less than 20% of the jobs are considered to be
In 2014, 80% of jobs require some post-secondary
education or training.
What’s the Point?
To compete in today’s economy, you will need to
further your education.
More education is associated with higher
earnings and higher rates of employment in
So, know your educational an career options.
Working with a partner, devise a strategy to
learn the listed 18 Michigan colleges so that you
will have greater awareness of your postsecondary educational options.
Career Awareness Survey
1. What are your top three interest codes?
2. Do the codes seem accurate?
3. List three career-pathways which match your career
After Graduation, What Will Be Your
OJT: On the Job Training
4 Year College (Bachelor’s Degree)
2 Year College (Associate’s Degree)
Take 2 minutes to review for post-test with your
partner. Take 1 minute to review by yourself.
You now know the three steps of the college and career
You also know at least 18 colleges in Michigan.
You also have more awareness of your career interests.
Continue with your post-secondary education and