“A Day in the Life of…”
(ASSURE Lesson Plan)
• General Characteristics
The learners are third grade students between the ages of 8 and 9 years old. The students have
diverse backgrounds – Chamoru, Filipino, Caucasian, and Japanese. All students come from
middle class families. Most students are average to above average achievers. Class size is small
with only 16 students, 9 boys and 7 girls. One student is a student with temporary moderate
traumatic brain injury.
• Entry Competencies
Students have been working on computers, learning to use blogs online on
http://www.blogger.com. During the student’s summer program, they were introduced to and
created personal email accounts for themselves on Gmail. Students have been introduced to
online slideshow makers such as http://www.slide.com and http://www.rockyou.com. Students
have also used and created accounts on http://www.tokbox.com to communicate with one
another and teacher.
• Learning Styles
Students are verbal and visual learners. Examples of uploading pictures need to be provided for
S tate objectives
• Given a teacher-made handout, students will be able to complete that handout with 100%
• Students will capture the life of a trusted adult/person for 4 hours.
• Students will create a photo story on http://www.slide.com with the pictures they took.
• Students will post a 50-word reflection on blog with 0-5 writing errors.
• Students will tell their “story” with 0-5 speaking errors
S electinstructional methods , media, and
o Students will have one week to complete this assignment, and may work on it in class if
o Students will work individually.
o For student with disability, they will work with parent or caregiver
o Students will use handout and pictures to complete assignment.
o Students will write a reflection, then present story to class.
o MS Word
o Personal cameras
o Computer with camera, microphone, and speakers
o Teacher-made handout
o Gmail account
o Blogger account
o Class account at http://www.slide.com
o Account on http://www.tokbox.com
o Projector acquired by teacher
Utilize media and materials
• Teacher will use personal laptop and projector to show:
o Teacher-made handout
o Instructional video
o Sample digital photo story
• In class, teacher will show students how to use http://www.slide.com, showing them different
layouts and transitions in the service.
Require learner participation
• Students will work independently or with some assistance from teacher.
• For student with disability, they will have a task-completion checklist to keep them focused.
They are to check off each task when completed.
• Students will download teacher-made handout from email accounts.
• Students will review instructional video on http://www.tokbox.com and respond with concerns
• Using teacher-made handouts, students will follow selected person for 4 hours, completing their
• While student is with adult, they will also take pictures to digitally document their experience.
• Student will upload pictures to computer, by connecting their hardware to the USB port, then
do the following:
o In the start menu, click the Computer button.
o Click the media that contains photos.
o Copy photos to pre-made folder for this assignment
o Safely eject media
• Students will log onto http://www.slide.com account, then do the following:
o Students will click Create button on welcome page.
o Upload photos by clicking My Files tab and click Browse button
o Arrange photos so they are in sequential order
o Edit captions for each photo
o Students will then edit their slideshows changing transition styles, skins, backgrounds,
and changing the size of the show to large.
o After editing slideshow, click green Save button
o Students will title Slideshow as “A Day in the Life of…” in the Slideshow Details Box
o In the Directed by Box, they will put their name
o They will put the “Star of the Show” (i.e., my teacher Ms. Tenorio) in the Stars in This
Show box, and click blue Add Star button
o Choose between start transitions: Classic, Pink, or Hollywood
o Click green Save Slideshow button
o Students will click on My Slide to ensure their slideshow is saved
o Log out of http://www.slide.com.
• Once students have completed slideshow, they type a 50-word reflection essay on Microsoft
o For student with disability, they will have someone help them complete essay.
• Students will log onto http://www.blogger.com, and do the following:
o Click on Create New Blog
o Title blog A Digital Story
o Pick a blog address
o Type word verification
o Click Continue arrow
o Choose a template for their blog
o Click Continue arrow
o Click Start Blogging button
o Title the blog A Day in the Life Of…
o Copy reflection from Microsoft word
o Click Edit Html tab
o Paste reflection using Ctrl+V or mouse right click and choose paste
o Click Preview to ensure essay is correct
o Click Orange Publish Post button if no corrections need to be made
o Click View Post to ensure everything is on page
o Sign out of http://www.blogger.com.
• In class, students will give teacher site for their slideshows.
• Students will present slideshow to class and tell their photo story
Evaluate and revise
• Assessment of Learners
o Teacher will ensure that teacher-made handout is complete with 100% accuracy by
having adult/person followed sign handout.
o Teacher will evaluate photos, if they are relevant to project and correspond with
o Teacher will check to see if photos in photo story are in sequential order
o Teacher will assess essay based on the following criteria: (total possible 4/4)
Five sentences per paragraph
Topic sentence with supporting details
There are 0-5 writing errors
o While presenting to class, teacher will assess based on the following criteria (total
Speaks clearly and loudly
Has constant eye contact with class
Uses appropriate diction for the setting
Presents story in correspondence with handout and photo story
• Evaluation of Methods
o Teacher will assess if
Teacher will assess if students were able to complete a satisfactory project
within the given time
Teacher will assess if students were able to work well individually
Teacher will assess if students were able to complete assignment with little
• Evaluation of Media
o Teacher will evaluate student’s use of media based on observation.
o Students will assess media tools based on teacher –made survey
Easy to use/not easy to use
Able to navigate
Fun using tools