How to Avoid the 5 Most Common Mistakes Made in Social Media
HOW TO AVOID THE 5 MOST COMMON SOCIAL
MEDIA MISTAKES THAT MAY BE COSTING
By the end of these slides you will learn more about
● your current social media online presence-
● The 5 mistakes that professionals are making on their social
media profiles that are costing them thousands in profits.
● The unseen harm that is being done to your online
reputation and future success-potential for you and your
● I am a Canadian mom, author, and internet
marketer and social media and SEO specialist.
● I am extremely passionate about internet
marketing and social media
● Established my online marketing business,
Gemini Rising in 2011 which was offering
primarily SEO but now I am focusing on social
● I was however not known as a social butterfly
as a child since I was very introverted and shy,
but I have evolved, became extremely
successful in my social media efforts and want
to teach you how you can be as well.
What I am about to teach will help you to avoid the 5 MOST COMMON
mistakes you have been making on your social media profiles and if
you apply what you are about to learn, you will:
● start attracting other professionals on your social networks,
● grow your networks substantially
● be truly influential online
● give you more leads,
● more traffic and business.
What Social Media Is
An ongoing conversation that’s happening RIGHT NOW
A promotional channel for quality content distribution
A long-term return on investment
A steady stream of information for:
● building relationships with customers, clients, contacts
Popular networks are
FACEBOOK - a networking site where you can share pictures, status
updates and information, create pages as well as groups.
TWITTER- a micro blogging site where you are constantly sharing and
gaining new information
LINKEDIN - a professional network
GOOGLE PLUS - an information sharing network, with communities,
and has added SEO benefits if utilized properly.
PINTEREST- an image sharing network
YOUTUBE - a video sharing network
INSTAGRAM - an image sharing network that is used through your
Klout- An analytic tool that measures your social media engagement
WHY SOCIAL MEDIA IS IMPORTANT FOR BUSINESSES
● Over 80% of people in the US have at least 1 social media account
● About ⅔ of the global internet population visit social media
● Social media makes up over 17% of all online usage
● Has overtaken email as #1 activity on the web
● Time spent on social networks is growing at 3 times the overall the
internet rate accounting for 10% of internet time
● As of February, 2011, there were 156 million public blogs
● Posting almost 1,000,000 blog posts daily
● 13 hours of video is uploaded on YouTube every minute
● 93% of Americans believe companies should have a social media
● 85% believe those companies should be interacting with customers
● 100,000,000 videos on YouTube are viewed per day
● Twitter has grown since 2009 1382%
● There are 3,000,000 tweets per day
● 5,000,000,000 minutes are spent on Facebook per day
● 1,000,000,000 links and photos are shared on Facebook per day
● 93% of users believe that all companies should have a social media
● 85% of users do not only think that companies should have a presence
but must interact with clients and fans in order to maintain business
For companies, resistance to social media is
HERE’S WHAT YOU TAP INTO WITH SOCIAL MEDIA
1. Public relations
2. Customer Service
3. Loyalty building
6. Thought- Leadership
7. Customer Acquisition
THE 5 MOST COMMON MISTAKES MADE IN
What mistakes people make on their profiles often and how it can be
avoided so you can create stellar social media profiles from scratch.
Why not welcoming new connections will cost you new (and future)
business in the long run
Not posting enough or posting too often
…and mistake #5…drum roll…..
The type of content that many users put out that are literally repelling
others and must be avoided
What mistakes people make on their profiles often and
how it can be avoided so you can create stellar social
media profiles from scratch
● A picture says a lot about you. It is a must to upload an avatar of
● It is crucial that you fill up your about me page because people want
to read about your likes, dislikes, your experiences, and just about
● If you do not have your profession listed, your potential customers
are not taking you seriously.
● It is important to list your past educational experiences on your
Facebook, Google Plus, as well as LinkedIn, especially because this
not only helps those in your networking efforts to know how you
became what you did, but reading this helps them connect with you
● Fill out your contact information because if you don't, no one will take
DO YOU WELCOME EVERY NEW ONLINE
CONNECTION YOU MAKE? PROBABLY NOT. IT IS
TIME TO START!
● If you don’t welcome them you are seen as cold and uncaring.
● You are keeping the doors closed, a simple welcome opens up a lot
of doors, more than you would think, a relationship is born by a
simple hello or welcome.
● Your new connections will forget about you as you will just be
considered as a number, and if you offer something else that another
in their circle offers, who will they go to? Answer: Not you.
● Others will hear through the “grapevine” that you are not caring and
that can (and will) hurt you in regards to getting new connections.
● You will get into the habit of not greeting people offline, as what you
do online spills to your offline world and vice versa.
OVER POSTING AND UNDER POSTING.
● Under posting can make you non-existent. Plain and simple.
● Over-posting can annoy and anger your followers to the point that
they will leave. (goodbye customer)
● Post on Twitter every 2 hours.
● Post on Facebook and Google Plus around 7 times a day, 2 in the am,
2 in the pm and 3 in the evening. The bigger your network the more
you can get away with, no more than 12.
● Over-posting, by far, will hurt your reputation.
OVER-PROMOTING? HERE’S WHY OVER-PROMOTING YOUR
BUSINESS CAN REALLY PISSING OFF YOUR PROSPECTS
● If you over promote, you look desperate or like a spammer.
● If you say nothing about your business, however, people will not
take it seriously either or just won’t know about it
● If there are new announcements, be sure to say it once a week. If
your friends or followers are interested they will see it on your
● Only update more than that if a sale you are having is limited or
● One way to remind people of what you do is share different content
related to your niche. Smart social media marketers know this is
the way to go.
IT’S OKAY TO BE “EDGY” WITH YOUR CONTENT.
HOWEVER DON’T FALL OFF THE EDGE.
● Do not put out anything to do with sexuality, politics, graphic images,
jokes or anything overly controversial as that will alienate your
● Keep negativity at bay. Save it for your private journal or call a friend
who cares if you need to vent. Keep it off your social media profiles at
● Realize that nothing is private once it’s online.
● If you have a problem with someone, do not interact with that person
unless it is a healthy and respectable debate, but never ever feed the
● This may not be related to content however, do not buy friends or
followers as that will hurt your reputation!
Now you Know What Pitfalls to Avoid! What
you Must do in Order to Truly Win the
Social Media Game is to Position yourself
as a Thought-Leader and Be the Influential
One in your Niche!
WHY IS TRIBE BUILDING IMPORTANT?
1. It’s how new relationships are properly created, which is the
foundation for business.
2. Reinforce a positive reputation and positions you as an expert
in your niche.
3. You build relationships through contacts that your
4. Incredible opportunities can come your way through tribe
1. Professionals end up joining meaningless
“Add Me” groups on Facebook
2. They end up with connections that are there
to annoy them instead of either being a
business prospect or has connections to good
prospects. They are time wasters.
3. These connections are not going to care
what you have to say! They are not going to
care about the time and energy that you put
out to share good and informative content.
Aside from the Previously Discussed
Pitfalls, Many People Build their
Connections the Wrong way!
Tribe Building Needs to be
Building tribes successfully goes beyond avoiding
those 5 pitfalls discussed, as well as joining groups
that are meant to meet people. Some resources that
you can use that will help grow your network are:
● Empire Avenue
● Viral Content Buzz
● Facebook groups that are meant for Tribe Building
Thank you for going through this slide presentation, get
in contact with me: