DEAR MR. KILMER
BY: ANNE SCHRAFF
SUMMARY OF CHAPTER 2
1. In April 1917, Americadeclareswaron Germany.Americanswill jointhe fightingin France.
2. It isspring. Richard isinthe tenth-grade. One day,Richard’steacherMrs.Hansen readsa poem
“Trees”by Joyce Kilmer,tothe class. Mr. Kilmerisafamouspoetwhoworksfor “The NewYork
3. AbnerLewisgrumblesthatthe poemandthe poetare sissy. Mrs. HansenexplainsthatMr.
KilmerhasvolunteeredtofightforAmericaalthoughhe isapoet. She thengivesexamplesof
poetswhodiedfightingfortheircountryandpoetswhoare biggertrouble makersthanAbner
4. Mr. KilmerisRichard’snewherobecause he isapoetwhofeelsaboutnature like himandhe is
brave to fightoverseasforAmerica.
5. RichardborrowsMr. Kilmer’sbook“TreesandOtherPoems”fromMrs. Hansen. He alsowrites
downthe addressof the office of the editorfor“The New York Times”inhisnotebook.
6. Afterschool,HannahSchermerscriesinthe hallwaybecause someone hasscrawled“Dirty
Hun”, all overherbookcover. Richardtellssome of hisschoolmateslikeAbner,harrycarver
and BlancherFreeboldaboutit,buttheyare meanto herand herparents. Theysay that the
Schermersare Huns andtheyare unpatrioticbecause theyspeakGermanandserve Hunfoodat
theirtavernwhile awar isgoingon againstGermany.
7. Richardreads Mr. Kilmer’spoetrybookinhisroomandwritesa lettertohimabout hisfearsand
problems. He tellsMr.Kilmerthat he is alone andaskshimif he shouldkeephidinghispoems
or tell everyoneaboutthem.