“May Day Eve”
By: Nick Joaquin
Submitted By : Ma. Shane C. Imbud
Submitted To : Ms. Angela Lara
I. Tittle :
“MAY DAY EVE”
II. Author :
III. Setting :
“In a room with a mirror during May Day
IV. Character/s :
- Old woman, who is so obedient to her mistress, accused for
being a witch and believes in superstitious beliefs.
- Pretty, young woman who is so curious, hardheaded, brave and
very much willing to know her future husband.
- Old lady who has gray hair, full of sentiments, emotional ,
Dona Agueda’s Daughter
- A vain curious girl, who is persistent to know about the past
of her mother.
Don Badoy Montiya
- A great lover, emotional and full of sentiment old man, who
repents for what he has done to Agueda.
- Believe in superstitious belief and was like his grandmother
who at an early age want to know who will he marry.
“ Man vs. Supernatural ”
The story started with a flashback. Dona Agueda was facing
the mirror on Monday eve because her sister told her to do
so. Dona Agueda really believed in her sister. That's when
she faced the mirror, her future lover would appear in the
As soon as Don Badoy appeared in the mirror, they decide to
marry each other because they believed in Anastasia. When
they got their married life began to be miserable. Because
of the fact that they don't love each other and nothing
special happened to them.
- Is a genre of fiction that occurs when elements of
the magical world start to blend or mix with the
“The theme centers on intense remorse caused by wrong decisions. Like
believing in superstitions.”