1Name________________________________________________Date__________________Cold War and Civil Rights Open- Note Test1. After World War II, the large scale development of suburban communities were influenced by thea.) Marshall Planb.) Office of Price Controlsc.) Manhattan Projectd.) G. I. Bill of Rights2. Which government program was directly responsible for creating the community of Oak Ridge?a.) Tennessee Valley Authorityb.) Social Security Administrationc.) Manhattan Projectd.) Great Society3. Which country completes the table below?a.) Great Britainb.) Soviet Unionc.) Franced.) NetherlandsPOST WORLD WAR II FOREIGN POLICY DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ALLIED POWERSUnited States ?Wanted to rebuild Europe Wanted to control EuropeRuled by democracy Ruled by totalitarian governmentAllowed private ownership of business Government controlled businessAllowed free speech Used censorship
24. The Berlin Airlift (1948-49) was a direct action by the United States againsta.) a Soviet blockade of West Berlinb.) the construction of the Berlin Wallc.) a rebellion by Nazi sympathizers in West Berlind.) the decision after WWII to divide Berlin5. In 1961, student activists began the freedom rides to the south toa.) join the counterculture movementb.) challenge segregation in bus terminalsc.) avoid the military draftd.) demand free speech on college campuses6. Which Supreme Court decision stated that people accused a crime must be allowed access to anattorney?a.) United States v. Nixonb.) Plessy vs. Fergusonc.) Gideon v. Wainwrightd.) Brown v. Board of Education
37. At Yalta, what agreement did the “Big 3” come to about Germany’s future after WWII?8. How did the Potsdam Conference help bring about the Cold War?9. Explain the concept of containment.10. How did the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan address the spread of Communism?11. What was the long telegram?12. What was the “Iron Curtain”?13. How long did the Cold War last?14. What agreement was reached concerning Poland at the Yalta Conference?
415. Who were the “Big 3”?16. Which countries benefitted from the Truman Doctrine?17. Which alliance did the U.S. and Great Britain belong to after WWII? Which alliance did the SovietUnion belong to?18. What was the Red Scare?19. Why was HUAC (House Un-American Activities Committee) created?20. Who were the Rosenbergs?21. What led to Joseph Mc Carthy’s downfall?22. “Duck and cover” was supposed to protect students from what type of attacks?23. The policy of ________________________ became the main approach in U. S. foreign policy towardthe Soviet Union during the Cold War.a.) democracyb.) limited warc.) free traded.) containment
524. At Potsdam, the main conflict was over which of the following?a.) the United Nationsb.) the invasion of Japanc.) German reparationsd.) nuclear weapons25. George Kennan first suggested which foreign policy?a.) brinkmanshipb.) containmentc.) massive retaliationd.) the Marshall Plan26. What was the underlying goal of the Marshall Plan?a.) to contain Soviet expansion in the Middle East and Asiab.) to rebuild European economies to prevent the spread of communismc.) to monitor the growth of the military industrial complex in the United Statesd.) to Americanize Western European nations27. One historical lesson from the McCarthy era is the realization thata.) loyalty oaths prevent spyingb.) communism is attractive in prosperous timesc.) Communist agents had infiltrated all levels of the U. S. governmentd.) public fear of traitors can lead to intolerance and discrimination
628. Explain the significance of the G. I. Bill for enlisted men and women.29. Who is known as the King of rock’ n’ roll?30. What is the name of the studio where he first recorded?31. Why were parents against rock’n’roll?32. Brown vs. Board of Education was a significant case becausea.) it declared it illegal to prevent African-Americans from votingb.) it declared it illegal to segregate restaurantsc.) it declared it illegal to segregate public schoolsd.) it declared it illegal to discriminate in the selling of a house33. Why was Emmett Till murdered in Money, MS?34. Where was training held for Freedom Summer? Why was a training even needed?35. How did the FBI explain their role in providing protection for Freedom Summer?36. Why did Mamie Till Bradley choose to have an open-casket service for her son Emmett?37. Name the two organizations that played a large role in organizing MS Freedom Summer.