Nanuet Professional Development
Technology Cheat Sheet
Google Custom Search Engines
Creating a custom search engine (CSE) is simple. You do need a Google account to create a CSE. Follow the steps
1) Navigate your browser to http://www.google.com/cse.
2) Click on Create Custom Search Engine on right of page.
3) Give your CSE a Name and Description. When listing sites to search list one per line. List root URLs, for example
if the page http://www.historycentral.com/wars.html has information I want, you should only use the main
domain http://www.historycentral.com in our CSE. This gives the CSE more to search. You can leave standard
4) Choose the style template you want for your CSE.
5) After you choose your template you be given code to embed your CSE in a website, wiki, or blog. Click on Look
and Feel to see your CSE.
6) On the Look and Feel page you can adjust any feature of your CSE. You can add sites to search and people to
collaborate with. Click on the name of your CSE to view the site.
7) Your CSE webpage lists its name as well as a partial list of sites it searches. Use the URL to link or share the
8) The next time you sign into http://www.google.com/cse click on Manage Existing Accounts to see all of you
search engines. Click on Control Panel to edit your CSE.