Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

August 6 1945_and_theme_intro[1]

552 views

Published on

Published in: News & Politics, Travel
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

August 6 1945_and_theme_intro[1]

  1. 1. How are thesethree imagesconnected????
  2. 2. Who is this????Paul Warfield Tibbets, Jr.(February 23, 1915 –November 1, 2007)a brigadier general in theUnited States Air Force,best known for being thepilot of the Enola Gay,the first aircraft to dropan atomic bomb in thehistory of warfare. Thebomb, code-named LittleBoy, was dropped on theJapanese city ofHiroshima.
  3. 3. Atomic bombings ofHiroshima and NagasakiDuring the final stages of World War II in 1945, the Allies conducted two atomic bombings against thecities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in Japan.Within the first two to four months of the bombings,- the acute effects killed 90,000–166,000 people in Hiroshima- 60,000–80,000 in Nagasaki- roughly half of the deaths in each city occurring on the first day.The Hiroshima prefecture health department estimated that, of the people whodied on the day of the explosion,-60% died from flash or flame burns,- 30% from falling debris and- 10% from other causes.During the following months, large numbers died from the effect of burns, radiation sickness, and otherinjuries, compounded by illness.In a U.S. estimate of the total immediate and short term cause of death, 15–20% died from radiationsickness, 20–30% from burns, and 50–60% from other injuries, compounded by illness.In both cities, most of the dead were civilians, although Hiroshima had a sizeable garrison.
  4. 4. “I knew when I got theassignment it was goingto be an emotional thing,... We had feelings, butwe had to put them inthe background. Weknew it was going to killpeople right and left. Butmy one driving interestwas to do the best job Icould so that we couldend the killing as quicklyas possible.”If Dante had been with us onthe plane, he would havebeen terrified,"Im not emotional. I didnt havethe first [vulgarity] thought, or Iwould have told you what it was. Idid the job and I was so relievedthat it was successful, you canteven understand it.“ 2005"Im proud that I was able tostart with nothing, plan it,and have it work as perfectlyas it did .... I sleep clearlyevery night.“ 1975"If you give me the samecircumstances, Id do itagain.“ 2005
  5. 5. LadybirdLadybirdFly away homeYour house is on fireYour children are gone
  6. 6. Any connection?
  7. 7. In the Enola Gayfive minutes before impacthe whistles a dry tuneLater he will saythat the whole blooming skywent up like an apricot ice.Later he will laugh and trembleat such a surrender, for the eyeof his belly saw Marilyns skirtsfly over her head for everOn the river bank,bees drizzle overhot white rhododendronsLater she will walkthe dust, a scarlet girlwith her whole stripped skinat her heel, stuck like an oldshoe sole or mermaids tailLater she will lie downin the flecked black ashwhere the people are becomeas lizards or salamandersand, blinded, she will complainMother you are late. So lateLater in dreams he will lookdown shrieking and seeladybirdsladybirdsBy Alison FellAugust 6, 1945Link to Noteshttp://www.ppu.org.uk/learn/poetry/poetry_nuclear1.htmlYour TaskRead the poemand completeyour FLIRTanalysis

×