• Iago swears to serve Othello, who
instructs him to kill Cassio.
“Within three days let me hear thee say
that Cassio’s not alive”
• Othello vows to kill Desdemona himself.
“Damn her, lewd minx!”
“I will withdraw to furnish me with some
swift means of death for the fair devil.”
• He appoints Iago to be his lieutenant.
Act 3 Scene 3
• Othello demands to see the
handkerchief that was his first gift to
Desdemona – obviously, Desdemona
makes excuses as she has mysteriously
• She tries to change the subject by
repeating her request that Cassio gets
his job back – this just makes Othello
Act 3 Scene 4
Act 3 Scene 4
• We meet Cassio’s prostitute lover Bianca
– he makes excuses for not seeing her all
• He asks Bianca to copy this rather nice
handkerchief he found in his room
• Bianca is jealous, suggesting that it is a
gift from another woman – she agrees
and then Cassio shoos her away so that
Othello doesn’t see him with Bianca
(meeting with a prostitute in front of
your boss would not do his job hopes
Act 4 Scene 1
• Iago wants go give Othello some “proof”
that Cassio and Desdemona are having an
• Iago gets Othello to hide while he talks to
Cassio – about Bianca.
• This turns into typical lads bragging talk –
Cassio using derogatory language to
describe “her” saying how crazy “she” is for
him (and Othello assumes the “her” is
• Cassio: “I marry her! What? A customer?
Prithee bear me some charity to my wit.”