Potential and Kinetic
QuickTime™ and a
are needed to see this picture.
• Potential Energy is stored because of an
• Any object that is not moving has potential
• The higher the object from the ground, the
more potential energy it has.
• Kinetic Energy- The energy an object has due
to its motion.
• Any object that is moving has Kinetic Energy.
• Two things effect the the amount of energy
that an object has: speed and mass.
• The more mass an object has or the the
faster the object is moving, the more Kinetic
Energy the object has.
• An airplane is coming in to an airport. Is
the kinetic and potential energy increasing
• A) Kinetic: Increasing, Potential: Increasing
• B) Kinetic: Decreasing, Potential: Decreasing
• C) Kinetic: Increasing, Potential: Decreasing
• You can change matter’s physical properties,
but you cannot change its identity. Physical
Properties are reversible.
• PHYSICAL PROPERTIES:
• volume, mass, density, texture, hardness,
size, weight, boiling & freezing points
Chemical and Physical
Chemical Property Physical Property
• When we change the matter’s chemical
property, we change the matter’s identity.
Chemical Properties are irreversible.
• CHEMICAL PROPERTIES:
• flammability, reactions,
• Conduction is the transfer of heat by
• Example:Touching a hot stove.
• TESTTRICK: ConDuction. C&D.“Direct
• Convection a process in which the eat goes
in a circular motion.The cold at the bottom
going up; the heat at the top going down.
• Example: Boiling water.
• TESTTRICK: Conveyer Belts move in
circles, and the word “convey” can be found
Heat Transfer: Radiation
• When heat transfers through the air.
• Example:The sun warming your face.