Slides from a class given at the University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication on 26th October 2015, covering the basics of health journalism, including examples of stories covered by the media in this diverse field.
• Split into two groups
• In 5 minutes, identify 10+ types of health stories
• Share genre with the group
+ Theoretical/actual example in that genre
• Working on your own you have 15 mins to…
1) Identify a strong health story in that genre
2) On the Google Doc complete:
headline – source – story summary – why it matters
Task 2: Why health journalism matters
• Write an 800-1,200 word essay for a new journalism handbook explaining why health
reporting is important.
• Think about how this fits with journalistic principles and purposes e.g. accountability,
informed citizens etc.
• Identify – and use - at least three examples of health stories to help illustrate your
• You can produce a generic essay, or one which uses one particular type of health story
e.g. mental health, to do this.
DUE: 23:59 on 9th November
Or visit me in
201 Allen Hall