Audio in 2017: key data
University of Oregon
Infinite Dial 2016 from Edison Research
How the study was conducted:
A total of 2,001 persons were interviewed to explore Americans’ use of digital platforms and new
media. From 1/5/16 to 2/10/16, telephone interviews were conducted with respondents age 12
and older who were selected via Random Digit Dial (RDD) sampling. Interviews were 52%
landline phones and 48% mobile phones.
About Edison Research:
Edison Research (http://www.edisonresearch.com) conducts survey research and provides
strategic information to a broad array of clients, including Activision, AMC Theatres, Disney,
Dolby Laboratories, Google, Gulf News, the U.S. International Broadcasting Bureau, Pandora,
Samsung, Siemens, Sony, Time Warner and Yahoo.
1. Podcast audience is loyal to the format.
2. Average person listens to audio 4 hours a day.
3. No of radio stations is increasing.
4. Still a lot of money in radio and audio. ($28 bn)
5. Competitive in terms of brands.
6. Advertising is the primary source of income.