SLC Job Club
April 15, 2010
Where to get training – Stay current
during your job search
• Salt Lake Community College – all sort of
online and on site training at the Larry H.
• University of Utah
– More expensive – professional development
• Executive Education U of U
– Much more expensive – good for business essentials
Contact Liz Frampton: 801-581-5577
• Custom Fit - If you have your own business – they will pay half
the fee can include certification programs outside the state
– SLCC Contact Shannon Strickland
Shannon.Strickland@slcc.edu (801) 957-5293
• www.utahfutures.org utilizes the O-Net –
initially built for high school age group
expanding to include all of the workforce
• http://online.onetcenter.org/ O-Net skill
assessment, salary information, job
• Dept. of Work Force Services (DWS) has no
money until– July 1
– Contact a redeployment counselor
• Trade Adjustment Assistance
– If your job was eliminated because of imports or
– Dawn Lay firstname.lastname@example.org (801) 526-4312 DWS
SLCC & DWS
• Applied for combined grant and was awarded
money for specific training related to
Engineering License Renewal Courses
• Green Academy – new – may have some grant
dollars available starting Fall
• Remember these are interviews
• How to prepare
– Researching company and industry
– Trends, opportunities and challenges
– Review marketing plan including areas of
expertise and skills, knowledge and abilities
What types of Questions?
• What do you want to know?
– Do you have transferrable skills?
– How did your interviewer get his/her job?
– Who else would you recommend I talk with.
– What companies to target
Same Rules of all Interviews
• Arrive early or call on time
• Dress Appropriate
• 30 second introduction
• Summary, bio or resume leave behind
Career Transition Plan
6810 Garden Oaks Drive Memphis, TN 38120
Experienced, confident sales leader/coach
Agency Partner responsible for business development
Juice Plus/NSA Distributor
Organization: Medium size, growing business, working with a creative executive
who values integrity, team work, planning and people
development. Clear, compelling vision for the organization.
Geographic: Prefer Memphis / virtual manager
Types of Career: Sales, sales management, sales consultant/facilitator
Timeline: Full time position by August 1, 2009
What I bring to increase sales and improve business performance:
• Winning new accounts and building long-term customer relationships
• Long-term relationships with key decisions in multiple industries across the US
• Developing innovative approaches to capture target niche customers
• Formulating strategies for sales in new business segments
• Key account management to support sales people to be successful
• Recruiting, Hiring and Leading best of class sales people in the industry
How you can help:
1. Review plan, my approach and make recommendations.
2. Suggest people I should talk to and ideas I might consider.
3. Look at target companies, critique and advise.
Target Company Examples
American Esoteric Laboratories
Other organizations I admire:
Cohesive Knowledge Solutions
One Page Business Plan