When does life begin?
• To debate and explain different
views on when life begins.
• To form our own opinion and compare
it to those of Muslims and Christians.
Task – ideas on when life
Follow the instructions on
Catholics say “Life
begins at the moment
Muslims say “There is
potential life from the
moment of conception,
but a foetus gets a soul
at 120 days, so this is when l
ife really starts.”
A foetus is viable (can
survive outside the womb)
at 22 weeks.
This is when life starts.
1. Add these views onto your timeline.
2. Which do you agree/disagree with? Why?
Why is it important to ask
the question: “When
does life begin”?
In pairs, list as many ideas as you can
come up with.
“It is nonsense to speak of a
moment when life begins.”
• Do you agree? Give reasons for your
answer, showing that you have thought
about more than one point of view.
• Refer to religious arguments in your answer.
Swap books, and use your mark scheme
to peer assess your partner’s answer.
• Two things they’ve done well.
• One thing that they could improve.
Improve your OWN answer
Spend a few minutes improving your
• Check spelling
• Add in evidence for the religious view
• Explain your opinion
3 – key words and their
2 – religious views
1 – reason why you think
deciding when life begins is