Write a definition for
‘abortion’, using no more
than 10 words.
Abortion and the law
• To understand what abortion is by
• To understand the legal position on
• To consider if we think some reasons
are more important than others for an
In pairs, read the statements.
Decide if the statement is law/not law,
fair or unfair and why you think this.
1. Read p80
2. Highlight the statements that
are the law on your worksheet.
3. Answer the ‘Activities’ question
Extension: Complete activity 5 on p81
What do you think is
important about this data?
• Abortions are down to 196,082 carried out
in 2011, The figures provide a fascinating
insight into women's lives across the two
• The figures show that under half of
abortions (49%) were to women with
partners while 26% were to single women
and 16% of abortions occurred within
marriage. The numbers of abortions to girls
under 16 are down too, 3,258 in 2011, down
from 3,718 the previous year.
Data from The Guardian website
1. Fill in the diamond ranking exercise
2. ‘Some reasons for abortion are more
important than others’. Do you
agree? Give more than one point of
view in your answer.
Why there is an abortion
• Watch the clip about Sarah Catt.
• Do you agree with the actions that
Video: Sarah Catt
job is to save
life, not to
Come up with 2 lies and a truth about
the abortion law.
Test them on your partner. Can they
guess which is the truth?