MHS Students Celebrate 2/22/22 Mooresville High School studentscelebrate a basketball game victory at the center of downtown Mooresville— February 22, 1922
Downtown Intersection (Northwest Corner, Indiana and Main Streets) Farmers State Bank (1873-1930) (Old Building: 1880s – 1904)
Downtown Intersection (Northwest Corner, Indiana and Main Streets)Farmers State Bank (1904-1930) ⇔ Roscoe Stovall, Jr. & Associates (2008)
Downtown Intersection (Northeast Corner, Indiana and Main Streets)I.O.O.F. Building (ca. 1881-1920s) ⇔ Hadley Mini-Park (2008)
Downtown Intersection(Southeast Corner, Indiana and Main Streets) George W. Bass Drugstore (ca. 1880-1902)
Downtown Intersection ) 920 efo re 1 (Southeast Corner, Indiana and Main Streets) re wa (b Burch Grocery Bass Drugstore ard ry ods oce ’s H Go Gr ller ry in’s Ke sD ste ugg rnBu Scr ▼ Movieland USA (in Oct. 2007) ▲ South Side of East Main Street (1902-1920)
Downtown Intersection(Southwest Corner, Indiana and Main Streets) ◄ Mason’s Pure Oil Station (1959- 1960) ▲ SW Corner (in Oct. 2007) ◄ Lindley Block (1905-1925) (burned down Dec. 27, 1925)
Downtown — East Main Street (between 1902-1907)Hundley BargainStore) Pace Thompson Post Rusie Dry Goods Office Furniture & Undertakers Main Street looking east from the Intersection with Indiana Street (circa 1902-1907 (photo probably by J. P. Calvert).
Downtown — East Main Street A. W. I.O.O.F. Building (built 1881-84); Gro. & Queensw., Merchants (built c. 1870) Conduitt Dry Goods (built 1870-71) Bass Drugs (built c. 1880)Main Street, looking east across the Indiana Street Intersection (1880s/1890s) (photo by J. P.Calvert)
Downtown — East Main Street, North Side ery roc ’s G n pso hom e eT fficPleas Mills Dry Goods Pac O ost 9P 190 North Side of East Main Street, between 1909 and 1917 (photo by J. P. Calvert).
◄ North Side: (L to R) Mills Dry Goods Store; Thompson Dry Goods; U.S. Post Office (photo taken between 1909-1917) Downtown — East Main Street(East Main Street, late 1890s/early1900s) (photos by J. P. Calvert) ►
Downtown — East Main Street, South Side (ca. 1908) George R. Scruggs Dry Goods Keller Hardware Burch Grocery George W. Bass Drugstore “George Scruggs sent this postcard to Mrs. S. Scruggs in O’Fallon, Illinois, with this message: ‘The buildings with the arrows are the ones we do business in.” Scruggs owned and operated a dry goods store here from 1891 to 1921. The G.A. Keller hardware store is at center. Burch Grocery and Bass Drugstore occupy the building in the foreground.’” Morgan County, by Joanne Raetz Stuttgen & Curtis Tomak (Postcard History Series, Arcadia Publ., 2007)(ISBN 0-7385-5120-1). (photo by J. P. Calvert.)
◄ G. R. Scruggs Dry Goods Store (ca. 1889), 9 E. Main St. (photo by J. P. Calvert)Mooresville Band (circa 1910).(photo by George B. Carter) ►
Downtown — East Main Street, South Side (2008) ◄ (L to R) Spotlight on Stars Dance Academy; Mooresville Open Market; Mooresville Discount Mattress Outlet; Movieland USA (corner, downstairs)(L to R) Zydeco’s 5 Restaurant; Spotlighton Stars Dance Academy; MooresvilleOpen Market ►
◄ Burch Grocery (ca. 1908-09), 3 East Main Street (photo by J.P. Calvert)3 East Main Street (2008):Mooresville Discount Mattress Outlet;Movieland USA (corner, downstairs) ►
◄ Main Street, looking west from Indiana St. intersection, during the 1910 Horse Show. Farmers State Bank (near right), Lindley Block (near left) (photo by J.P. Calvert).Main Street Looking West From IndianaStreet Intersection (after 1902)(photographer unknown). ►
◄ West Main Street (looking west across intersection with Indiana Street) (early 1900s) (photo by J. P. Calvert)(Ca. 1910) West Main Street, lookingeast toward the intersection of Mainand Indiana Streets. East Main St. ison the far side of the intersection(photo by J. P. Calvert). ►
Britton’s Cash Store ◄ South Indiana Street from the intersection of Main Street (1911) (photos by J. P. Calvert) Ross Moore’s Restaurant Lindley BlockSouth IndianaStreet fromthe middle ofNorth IndianaStreet, justacross theMain Streetintersection(ca. 1910) ►
◄ West Main Street, South Side, during the 1910 Horse Show (photo by J. P. Calvert) (R to L Taggart’s Bakery; Pace Thompson Dry Goods; Carlisle & Gilbert Furniture & Undertakers; Lindley Block) May 2008 West Main St., South Side (L to R: Harris & Currens;appliance store;Pat’s Tavern) ►
▼ Now… 10 N. Indiana (May 2008) Main Street Gifts & Collectibles▲ Then…10 N. Indiana—Day’s Grocery (before 1909)(photo by J. P. Calvert)
12 West Main Street—Lindley & Jessup Hardware circa 1910. Pictured are (left toright): Howard W. Lindley, Will Horton, Mr. Wolfe, and Mr. Thompson. In 1944,Lindley sold the store, which became Nelson & Son Hardware. (photo by J.P.Calvert.)
In this mid-1960s photograph,Adler’s Department Store andNelson & Son Hardwareappear at the westerly end ofthe north side of West MainStreet, close to the 1916Carnegie building that housedMooresville Public Library.Harold Moore’s AG FoodMarket is right of anunidentified pedestrian, whomay have been the intendedcentral subject of thisphotograph. Hayes DrugStore appears on the right.
Adler’s Department Store ◄ The 1964 Wagon Trails (Mooresville High School yearbook) shows the former Moore’s Market home of the Farmers State Bank (corner, Hayes Drugs above mailbox). ▲ Cooper’s Drugstore was the predecessor to Hayes Drugstore at 6 West Main Street (advertisement in 1958 Wagon Trails, MHS yearbook).
Now... North Side of West Main Street (May, 2008)▲ L to R: Carnegie LibraryBuilding; Tri-County Sports Shop;Yellow Moon Antique Mall; MainStreet Photography ►
◄ Then... 19 S. Indiana — Day’s Grocery (1909) (photo by J. P. Calvert) Then… Gray Brothers Restaurant (circa 1960), South Indiana St. ▼
Now... 19 S. Indiana (May 2008)(R to L: X-Treme Dance Academy; Pete Majeski State Farm Insurance)
Then... 17 S. Indiana—Post Office (circa 1900) Now... 17 S. Indiana (May 2008)
◄ Now… 31 S. Indiana Street (Oct. 2007) Nichols InsuranceThen… 31 S. Indiana Street — Dr. W. L. Thompson’s Office (ca. 1909)(photo by J. P. Calvert) ►
◄ Then… Methodist Episcopal (M.E.) Church (1914) Now… Mooresville Government Center (Oct. 2007) ►
York & Overton store,1890s, probably at 20-18South Indiana Street. ► ◄ A. H. Sellars dry goods store, 1880s, at 20-18 South Indiana Street. Reprinted from Richardson, Clara S. History of Mooresville, 1824-1974 (Dickinson Printing Co., 1974), at p. 23.
Britton’s “cash store” grocery (1900-1929). J. H. Britton (right) standswith son-in-law Horace Hadley(center) and brother Robert Britton(left), who helped J. H. with the store.Horace ran Hadley’s restaurant,which was located two buildings to thenorth in the Lindley Block (on thecorner of Indiana and Main Streets).The Lindley Block was destroyed byfire on December 27, 1925. Photoexcerpted from Hardin, Rebecca.Morgan County Scrapbook, Vol. 1 (Morgan County History &Genealogy Association, Inc., 1985,reprinted 1996), at p. 297.
◄ Copeland Appliance Store (circa 1970) at 20-18-16 South Indiana Street.20-18-16 South Indiana Street (May 2008).(L to R: Life Enhancement Resources; OnlineAppraisal & Real Estate Services) ►
MPL IndIana RooM• ResouRces for more information Visit the Indiana Room at Mooresville Public Library about historic Mooresville (and vicinity) and about scenes & places taken from the past and brought into the present. George Allison’s Grocery replaced Burch Grocery in the G.W. Bass Building at 3 East Main Street in the early 1920s (see photos, below). Allison later moved to 19 South Indiana Street (1927-1936), replacing E. W. Day’s Grocery.