A common scenario
Plain vanilla Google Analytics or Matomo Analytics
● No goal tracking
● No event tracking
● No custom dimensions
People & skills:
● No internal web analysts
● No external consultants
Analytics is used for reporting, not for optimisation.
Digital Analytics for Public
What to do when we don’t have
● Top of the funnel - advertising
● Bottom of the funnel - conversions
Sometimes, we also don’t have
● Traffic & engagement
> Standard AIDA based frameworks are not really useful.
● In Finland: used by municipal sites
● In Finland: used by government sites
Matomo & public sector
● Free and open source, 100 % data ownership
● On premises and cloud based
● Simple to use, similar to Google Analytics
● Performance issues with community edition on high
traffic site (MySQL)
Three uses of analytics
We are used to attributing conversions to traffic channels,
campaigns and content. Government and municipal sites
usually don’t have clear conversions. And they are not
● So what should be attributed and to what?
● Do we have any goals?
● What is a desirable outcome?
As soon as we have solved the issue of attribution, we can
In the digital world:
● Should we allocate more budget to content
● To what types of content?
● Maybe add some advertising?
We can optimise the website as long as we have goals and
metrics to be used as basis of the optimisation.
Own media - rarely paid media
● User experience
Analytics & politics
Just like in the business, data & analytics can be used for a
● “The service is used by the citizens. We need to digitize
even more of our services.”
● “The UX isn’t optimal, thus we need developer
● “Our reach is too small, thus we need more budget.”
There is a lot of
work to be done.
Go and change your