C.S. Mott Library Grand Re-Opening

876 views

Published on

The C.S. Mott Library at Mott Community College in Flint, MI celebrated its grand re-opening on June 23, 2011. This presentation shows before and after photos of the construction process as well as historic photos. Presentation created by Margaret Bourcier.

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
876
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
194
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

C.S. Mott Library Grand Re-Opening

  1. 1. Charles Stewart Mott Library (Opened for business on Monday, November 14, 1960) Built in 1960 Original Dedication Sunday, October 28, 1962 Remodeled in 2011Re-dedication Thursday, June 23, 2011
  2. 2. In 1957 a committee recommended the consolidation of the two librarycollections, (Flint Junior College and the University of Michigan-Flint) andproposed a library director be appointed to direct both libraries. Architectural Model
  3. 3. East side view
  4. 4. The Mott Library openedfor business on Monday,November 14, 1960. MainEntrance
  5. 5. South side view
  6. 6. MainEntrance 1960
  7. 7. Library DirectorsJosephine Gifford 1923 Don Pelkey 1966-1986Johanna Klingholz 1924-1930 Betty Cyr 1987Charlotte D. Jones 1930-1935 Bettye Wilson 1988-1989Marcie Parker 1935-1938 Denise Hooks 1989-2009June Pitts 1938-1941 Kathy M. Irwin 2010-presentMaude Cook 1941-1947Helen Webb 1947-1957James W. Pirie 19-57-1966
  8. 8. Southwest view
  9. 9. In 1958 the Flint Board of Educationapproved preliminary plans for athree-story building. The architect wasthen asked to reduce the structure to twostories.
  10. 10. Much of theoutside of thebuilding wascovered with animported Italianmarble mosaicknown as Fulget.Westside view
  11. 11. Main Entrance Inside
  12. 12. James W. Pirie was the first Head Librarian of the Mott Library.Reference Desk
  13. 13. Pre Reference Desk
  14. 14. Helen Provoast – Circ Clerk Emerson Bennett – Ref. Librarian Doris Morrish – Sec.Chuck ThompsonRef. Librarian Mary Betty Cyr Goggins Ref. Lib. VLC Clerk Inge Rohleder – Circ Clerk
  15. 15. In 1956 a specialcommittee tostudy the possibilityof a joint libraryserving Flint JuniorCollege and theUniversity ofMichigan-Flintwas appointed.
  16. 16. Circulation Desk
  17. 17. Study Area - 2nd Floor
  18. 18. Top of the Stairs 2 nd Floor
  19. 19. 2nd Floor Stacks
  20. 20. 3rd Floor Air conditioning was installed in 1964.
  21. 21. 3rd Floor
  22. 22. Sorensen-Gross Construction Companywas the general contractor for the initialLibrary Project.
  23. 23. Third floorduring construction
  24. 24. ThirdFloor
  25. 25. A gift of $1,000,000 from Charles StewartMott to the Flint Board of Educationmade the construction of the Mott LibraryPossible. (1958) Southside View
  26. 26. The building originally did not have an air-conditioning system, but wasdesigned so AC equipment could be installed without difficulty in thefuture. In 1964 air conditioning was installed.
  27. 27. Boulevard Demolition
  28. 28. North side – Event Center
  29. 29. 1962
  30. 30. ThirdFloor
  31. 31. Third Floor – Main Stairs
  32. 32. Third FloorAn additional giftof $150,000 fromCharles Stewart Mottallowed a 3rd floor tobe added to thebuilding. (1960)
  33. 33. Third FloorMain Stairwell
  34. 34. CTL Officeon the rightComputerLabs on theleftTesting Centerat the end
  35. 35. More of the3rd floor
  36. 36. 2nd Floor
  37. 37. First Floor
  38. 38. Campus View
  39. 39. The Event Center
  40. 40. Curtain Wall ofEvent Center
  41. 41. New additionon 2 nd floor
  42. 42. Center for Teaching &Learning (CTL)
  43. 43. View from BallengerField House
  44. 44. Looking outFrom CTLonto CourtStreet
  45. 45. Wall demolitionWestside
  46. 46. Event CenterLobby
  47. 47. Westside of Building
  48. 48. Reference Desk
  49. 49. Computer Lab Area
  50. 50. Circulation Desk
  51. 51. 1960
  52. 52. MainEntrance
  53. 53. MainStairway
  54. 54. NewAddition
  55. 55. The long walk fromCurtice Bldg.
  56. 56. Study Area
  57. 57. Event Center Stairway
  58. 58. MainEntrance
  59. 59. Third Floor Stairway
  60. 60. North side view
  61. 61. Northeast Corner
  62. 62. At the Flint Board of EducationMeeting on January 31, 1960,it was agreed that the new buildingwould be namedThe Charles Stewart Mott Library.
  63. 63. *NEW*First FloorBook stacks
  64. 64. NewLibrary
  65. 65. East side View
  66. 66. 3rdFloor
  67. 67. 2nd FloorBookstacks
  68. 68. Before the Prahl Building
  69. 69. Eastside view
  70. 70. Event Center Lobby
  71. 71. Southside view
  72. 72. The building was closed for three days(November 10, 11, and 12, 1960) and aStudent “book walk” brought the books fromThe old library location in the Curtice BuildingTo the new Mott Library. Loading Dock
  73. 73. Circulation Desk
  74. 74. Northwest Wall
  75. 75. CTL Lobby
  76. 76. MainStairway
  77. 77. Card Catalog
  78. 78. 3rd Floor Corridor
  79. 79. MainEntrance
  80. 80. BookTesting
  81. 81. CTL Lobby
  82. 82. 3rd Floor Restroom
  83. 83. Lobby toEventsCenter
  84. 84. Total Construction bids for the library were $1,003,231.
  85. 85. Title of the Mott Librarytransferred from theFlint Board of Educationto the Trustees ofGenesee CommunityCollege, July 1, 1970
  86. 86. Charles Stewart Mottin hisOffice
  87. 87. South side view

×