E-Flow: A communication system for user
notification in dynamic evacuation scenarios
Technical University of Madrid
Picture by David Gordillo
Costa Rica · December 2-6
The Evacuation Problem
• The evacuation analysis is a long-studied
• There are Route modeling systems, decision
support systems, middlewares, WSN and so on.
• There are several gaps of current evacuation
plans regarding the way users perceive the
information and are aware of the situation
Building and evacuation plan including
the user perspective
• Nowadays, there many solutions that
indeed permit WSN environments to
provide information in evacuation
• Nevertheless, there are other
challenges , more related to the
human factor, such as:
– reducing the reaction time of
– reducing the interpretation time,
– providing easy interaction mechanisms
– Providing dynamic signaling.
How to improve the chances
of survival from the user
The BIG Picture of the E-Flow system
Does the E-flow system provides acceptable
user awareness levels?
MQTT-to-Web using Websockets
We have checked the normality of the three samples with the Shapiro-Wilk normality test 
and conclude that the three samples came from a Normal distribution (p-value <= 0.05).
User experience and awareness are still acceptable for mobile cases. This
affirmation is based on the work of Jacob et al., which states that delays
less than 1.0 seconds need no special feedback.