To a certain extent . . . yes.
The reason for this is
because of the mountains. . .
especially, back in the day
before the railroad.
Western United States Region
• 4. Natural Disasters – earthquake, tornado,
(environment acting upon humans)
Earthquake in China
drought in Africa
flood in USA
hurricane in Gulf of Mexico
Mississippi River (2012)
The river was at a very low level
due to a very long period of dry
weather. What is that type of
weather phenomenon called?
• Class System (vocab.)
- Upper (elites)
- Middle (bourgeoisie)
2. Socialism (vocab.) – A theory advocating some gov’t control (regulation) of economic
3. Communism (vocab.) – “higher stage” of socialism
a. Total gov’t ownership of property and businesses
b. Pro-worker (proletariat)
c. Classless system (everyone is equal)
- What is the color of communism?
• Political Systems – a system of government; a form
of rule over people.
- What are some different forms of government?
1. Democracy (vocab.) – Government by the people.
a. Direct Democracy
1. Everyone participates and has a
say in gov’t.
b. Republic (vocab.) – Gov’t system in which the people elect leaders to
represent them. a.k.a. representative democracy. Example: USA
• Difference between (direct) democracy and republic. Students will draw
2. Autocracy – government in which one person has
unlimited power over others.
- Two types:
a. Totalitarian dictatorship
Pol Pot - Cambodia
Augusto Pinochet - Chile
Bashar al-Assad - Syria Saddam Hussein - Iraq
All are infamous
Muammar Gaddafi - Libya
Idi Amin - Uganda
Rafael Trujillo –
is in control of
• Regime (vocab.) – authoritarian/dictatorship and/or corrupt government
b. Monarchy (vocab.) – Government rule by king or queen.
1. Absolute Monarchy – all powerful
Ex. Saudi Arabia
2. Constitutional or Limited Monarchy – l
little or no power
“I just came out to say,
POWER TO THE PEOPLE.”
• Is Queen Elizabeth II, of the United Kingdom, an absolute monarch?
• NO!!! She is a constitutional or limited monarch.
3. Oligarchy – Government rule by a group of people.
Example: Communist State (country) – single-party (communist) rule
which professes allegiance to Marxist-Leninist communist ideology; led by a dictator; indoctrination.
Karl Marx Vladimir Lenin
Communism is thought of as both
an economic system and a gov’t
- Current Communist States (countries) – Cuba,
China, Laos, Vietnam & North Korea
4. Theocracy (vocab.) – gov’t rule by a religion. Ex. – Iran
Based on Sharia Law
Showing hair is a
Women’s rights protest in Tehran, Iran. The theocratic gov’t took it very seriously.
“Women should have
the same rights as men.”
5. Fascism (vocab.) – led by a dictator; emphasizes ancestry, culture and blood;
emphasis of nation (nationalism) over the individual; indoctrination; forcibly suppresses any opposition.
Examples: Germany, Italy & Spain in the 1930’s & ’40s
Francisco Franco (Spain)Hitler and
As mentioned before, dictators are,
generally, infamous and very
6. Plutocracy – the rule or control of a society by the wealthy.
7. Anarchy (vocab.) – no government
Nester Makhno (1918) – leader of the
Anarchist Free Territory in Ukraine
during the Russian Civil War.
(French) – father of modern
Mikhail Bakunin (Russian)
What would life be like
Think about it.
You would have to deal with people like this.