1. Traditional Economy
a. used by earlier civilizations and less developed countries
b. subsistence living
c. depend on customs, traditions, & inheritance to guide
d. found among indigenous populations that largely depend
on agriculture for their living
information about both economies taken from http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-a-traditional-and-market-economy.htm
2. Capitalism (a.k.a.Free Market system) (vo
a. private ownership of property and/or businesses
b. no gov’t regulation (rules)
c. supply & demand
c. encourages competition
d. class system.
• Class System is a part of
- Upper (elites)
- Middle (bourgeoisie)
3. Socialism – A theory advocating some gov’t control (regulation) of economic
activity. It also relies on the redistribution of wealth.
4. Communism– “higher stage” of socialism
a. Total gov’t ownership of property and businesses
b. Pro-worker (proletariat)
c. Classless system (everyone is equal)
d. Command Economy
- What is the color of
• I can name and describe the different
types of government systems
• I can compare and contrast different
• Political Systems – a system of government; a
form of rule over people.
- What are some different forms of government?
1. Democracy– Government by the people.
a. Direct Democracy– Everyone participates and has a say in gov’t. Ex.
b. Republic– Gov’t system in which the people elect leaders to represent them.
a.k.a. representative democracy. Example: USA
Difference between (direct) democracy and republic. Students will draw
2. Autocracy – government in which one person has
unlimited power over others.
- Two types:
a. Totalitarian dictatorship
All are infamous
Pol Pot - Cambodia
Augusto Pinochet - Chile
Bashar al-Assad - Syria
Saddam Hussein - Iraq
Muammar Gaddafi - Libya
Idi Amin - Uganda
Rafael Trujillo –
is in control of
• Regime– authoritarian/dictatorship and/or corrupt government
b. Monarchy– Government rule by king or queen.
1. 1. Absolute Monarchy – all powerful
Ex. Saudi Arabia
2. Constitutional or Limited Monarchy –
little or no power
“I just came out to say,
POWER TO THE PEOPLE.”
Ex. Canada, Jamaica, Belize & other Caribbean Islands.
British Commonwealth of Nations. Who is there monarch?
Is Queen Elizabeth II, of the United Kingdom, an absolute monarch?
NO!!! She is a constitutional or limited monarch.
3. Oligarchy – Government rule by a group of people.
Example: Communist State (country) – single-party
(communist) rule which professes allegiance to Marxist-Leninist communist ideology; led by a
Communism is thought of as both
an economic system and a gov’t
- Current Communist States (countries) – Cuba,
China, Laos, Vietnam & North Korea
• The United States will do everything
in their power to stop the spread of communism .
. . especially in the Western Hemisphere.
Ex. Nicaragua 1980s
This was the fear
of the U.S.-especially after
Cuba was on their
The U.S. anti-communist policy known as The Domino Theory
4. Theocracy– gov’t rule by a religion. Ex.– Iran (Islam)
Based on Sharia Law
Women’s rights protest in Tehran, Iran. The theocratic gov’t took it very seriously.
Showing hair is a
“Women should have the
same rights as men.”
5. Fascism– led by a dictator; emphasizes ancestry, culture and blood; emphasis of
nation (nationalism) over the individual; indoctrination; forcibly suppresses any opposition.
Examples: Germany, Italy & Spain in the 1930’s & ’40s
Francisco Franco (Spain)
As mentioned before, dictators are,
generally, infamous and very
6. Plutocracy – the rule or control of a society by the wealthy.
7. Anarchy– no government
Nester Makhno (1918) – leader of the
Anarchist Free Territory in Ukraine
during the Russian Civil War.
Mikhail Bakunin (Russian)
(French) – father of modern
What would life be like
Think about it.