Prof. Neha Saini
ITC e-choupal 1
Introduction about ITC
ITC has established vital brands in
• Branded Foods space (Aashirvaad, Sunfeast, Dark
Fantasy, Delishus, Bingo!, Yippee!, Candyman, mint-
o, Kitchens of India)
• Personal Care products (Essenza Di Wills, Fiama
Di Wills, Vivel, Engage and Superia)
• Education & Stationery products (Classmate and
• Lifestyle Apparel (Wills Lifestyle and John Players)
• Agarbattis (Mangaldeep)
ITC e-choupal 2
Creating Enduring Value
• Today ITC is the country's leading FMCG marketer.
• Market leader in the Indian Paperboard and Packaging
• Pioneer in farmer empowerment through its wide-reaching
Global Exemplar in Sustainability
• ITC is carbon-positive, water-positive, and solid waste
• All ITC's premium luxury hotels are LEED (Leadership in Energy
and Environmental Design) Platinum certified making it the
"greenest luxury hotel chain" in the world.
• ITC's Paperboards and Paper business is an icon of
ITC e-choupal 3
• Market leader in India.
• Powerful brands across segments.
• Highly popular brands of portfolio includes
Insignia,Indiakings,Classic,Gold Flake,Silk cut,Navy
• About 71% of total turnover depends on this business
ITC e-choupal 5
ITC Hotel Business
• ITC made its entry in the HOTELS Business in 1975 from
• It consists of over 70 Hotels across India.
• These includes super deluxe and five star hotels,heritage
places,havelis and resorts and full service budget hotels.
• Its Restaurant Bukhara voted the Best Restaurant in Asia
and is the only restaurant to feature in the list of 50 Best
Restaurants in the world.
ITC e-choupal 6
ITC Information & Technology Business
• ITC Info Tech, a global IT services company,is today one of
India’s fastest growing IT and ITES service providers.
• Providing outsourced IT solutions and services to leading
• ITC Info Tech has a strength of over 2000 employees and
delivery centres across North America,Europe and Asia-
Pacific that served Fortune-listed companies in 42
• ITC Info Tech conforms to the highest standards in
International Process Quality.
ITC e-choupal 7
ITC Paperboard Business
• ITC’s Paperboards business has a manufacturing capacity of
over 360,000 tones per year.
• India’s market leader across all carton-consuming segments
including cigarettes,foods,beverages and many more.
• ITC’s Paperboards products include:
1. Packaging boards-coated folding box boards
2. Solid bleached sulphate boards
3. White lined chipboards
4. Liquid packaging boards
5. Poly extruded coated boards for food and barrier
6. Cast coated papers and boardsITC e-choupal 8
ITC FMCG Business
ITC made its entry in branded and packaged food business in Aug
• Famous brands in this section are as follows:
1. Kitchens of India
• Lifestyle Retailing
ITC made its presence through WILLS LIFESTYLE chains of exclusive
• Greeting Gifting and Stationary
ITC’s Stationary bands Paper Kraft & Classmate are the most widely
used brands across India.
ITC e-choupal 9
ITC e-choupal 10
ITC Agri-business Division
ITC's Agri Business Division is the country's
second largest exporter of agri-products. It
currently focuses on exports and domestic trading
• Feed Ingredients - Soyameal
• Food Grains - Wheat
• Marine Products - Shrimps and Prawns
• Processed Fruits - Fruit Purees/Concentrates,
IQF/Frozen Fruits, Organic Fruit Products
• E-Choupal in hindi means “village meeting place”.
• Launched in 2000 and promoted by YC Deveshwar
• Developed by Agribusiness division of ITC.
• Conceived to tackle the challenges posed by unique
features of Indian agriculture – fragmented farms,
weak infrastructure and the involvement of
• It is a virtual market place where farmers can
transact directly with a processor and realize better
price for their produce.
ITC e-choupal 12
Characteristics of E-Choupal
• Used for many commodities and multiple transactions.
• Use local people and talent and develops local
• Customer centric.
• Nurtures local entrepreneurs.
• Extended to local as well as global procures.
• Farmers carries a local kiosk and receives a spot quote
from the sanchalak. If the farmer accepts the quote , he
can transport the produce directly to an ITC collection
center and gets payment within two hours.
ITC e-choupal 13
Before E-choupal - Farm to Factory
ITC e-choupal 14
ITC Business model – E-Choupal
ITC e-choupal 15
Help in enhancing farm productivity by
• Disseminating latest information on district level
weather forecast for shorter and medium terms.
• Best practices in farming.
• Supply of quality inputs (seed, herbicide, fertilizer,
pesticide etc) in the village itself.
Help improve price realization for farm produce by
• Making available live data on markets viz. location/
buyer wise prices offered.
• International market prices of relevant agri-
ITC e-choupal 17
• Expert opinion on expected future price movements.
• Historical and Up-to-date information on supply &
Helps minimize transaction costs in marketing farm
• Buying output at farmer’s doorsteps.
• Through transparent pricing & weight management
ITC e-choupal 18
• Accurate weighing, faster processing time and
• Access to a wide range of information including
market price knowledge, weather, scientific farming
practices, farmer peer groups, soil-testing and
• Helps farmers to decide when, where, and at what
price to sell.
• ITC employees imparts operational knowledge of
computer and internet to him so that he can perform
his task efficiently & effectively.
ITC e-choupal 20
• Serves as both a social gathering place for exchange
of information and e-commerce hub.
• Encourage local participation.
• Farm linkages in more than 14 states.
• Benefits around 4 million farmers.
ITC e-choupal 21
• Choupal Saagar, a physical infrastructure hub that comprises
collection and storage facilities and a unique rural
hypermarket that offers multiple services under one roof.
• Incorporates farmer facilitation centers with services such as
sourcing, training, soil testing, health clinic, banking,
investment services, fuel station etc.
• 24 'Choupal Saagars' have commenced operations in the
states of Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh.
• ITC is engaged in scaling up the rural retailing initiative to
establish a chain of 100 Choupal Saagars in the near future
• Option of selling to Choupal Saagar or Mandies
• In some crops, farmers earns higher prices than selling to
• Availability of Loan facilities
• Availability of brands/quality products at best prices
• Exposure to latest information
• Difference in net earning will be high if saving on commission
to middle man & cost of transport are considered.
A tale of E-Choupal
ITC e-choupal 25