1) Rewrite these sentences. Use UNLESS or IF: 1. I won’t understand if he doesn’t speak slowly. Unless he speaks slowly, he won’t understand. 2. We’ll miss the bus unless we run. If we don’t run, we’ll miss the bus. 3. You’ll fail your exams if you don’t work harder. Unless you work harder, you’ll fail your exams. 4. If the weather doesn’t get worse, we’ll play tennis. Unless the weather gets worse, we’ll play tennis.
5. We won’t go out unless it stops raining. If it doesn’t stop raining, we won’t go out. 6. I won’t be prepared for the exam if I don’t study all night. Unless I study all night, I won’t be prepared for the exam. 7. If Tomas doesn’t wake up early, he’ll be late for work. Unless Tomas wakes up early, he’ll be late for work. 8. If you don’t go to Japan, you won’t learn Japanese. Unless you go to Japan, you won’t learn Japanese.
9. If you don’t drive carefully, I won’t lend you my car. Unless you drive carefully, I won’t lend you my car. 10. We’ll be late if we don’t hurry. We’ll be late unless we hurry. 11. You must study more or you won’t pass the exam. Unless you study more, you won’t pass the exam. 12. The dog will attack you only if you move. Unless you move, the dog won’t attack you.
2) Rewrite each sentence beginning as shown, so that the meaning stays the same A) I didnt have an umbrella with me and so I got wet. I wouldnt have got wet if I had had an umbrella. B) Ill call the police if you dont leave me alone! Unless you leave me alone I’ll call the police. C) In the snowy weather we dont go to school. If it snows, we don’t go to school. D) Without Jacks help, I wouldnt have been able to move the table. If Jack hadn’t helped me, I wouldnt have been able to move the table.
E) You drink too much coffee, thats why you cant sleep. If you drank less coffee, you could sleep. F) You press this button to stop the machine. If you press this button, the machine will stop. G) Make me some coffee, and Ill give you one of my biscuits. If you make me some coffee, I’ll give you one of my biscuits.
3) Rewrite these sentences using the second or third conditional: 1) I didn’t work for my exams, so I failed. If I had worked for my exams, I wouldn’t have failed. 2) We have no scissors, so we can’t cut it well. If we had scissors, we could cut it well. 3) He was late to work because he didn’t take a taxi. If he had taken a taxi, he wouldn’t have been late. 4) Peter eats a lot, that’s the reason why he is so fat. If Peter didn’t eat a lot, he wouldn’t be so fat. 5) She isn’t happy in her marriage, possibly because he doesn’t pay her any attention. If he paid her more attention, she would be happy in her marriage.
6) I don’t go swimming because there isn’t a swimming pool nearby. If there were a swimming pool nearby, I would go swimming. 7) We arrived late because our car broke down. If our car hadn’t broken down, we wouldn’t have arrived late. 8) It was raining so I didn’t go to the park. If it hadn’t been raining, I would have gone to the park. 9) William didn’t apply for the job. Consequently he didn’t get the job. If William had applied for the job, he would have got it.
10) I didn’t have enough money, so I couldn’t buy a new car. If I had had enough money, I could have bought a new car. 11) They speak French to her, not English, so her English doesn’t improve. If they spoke English to her, her English would improved. 12) My number isn’t in the directory so people don’t telephone me. If my number were in the directory, people would phone me. 13) I’m fat. That’s why I can’t get through the bathroom window. If I weren’t so fat, I could get through the bathroom window. 14) I can’t drive so we can’t take the car. If I could drive, we could take the car.
15) We have no ladder so we can’t get over the wall. If we had a ladder, we could get over the wall. 16) I didn’t see the signal, so I didn’t stop. If I had seen the signal, I would have stopped. 17) English people speak very quickly. Perhaps that’s why I don’t understand them. If English people spoke slower, I would understand them. 18) She didn’t know you were on hospital, so she didn’t visit you. If I had known you were on hospital, I would have visited you. 19) We didn’t visit the museum because we didn’t have time. If we had had time, we would have visited the museum.
20) We missed the train because we used an out-of-date timetable. If we hadn’t used an out-of-date timetable, we wouldn’t have missed the train. 21) The sweater shrank because you washed it in boiling water. If you hadn’t washed the sweater in boiling water, it wouldn’t have shrunk. 22) He looks unattractive because he never shaves. If he shaved, he would look attractive. 23)The house is quite cold because I haven’t got central heating. If I had central heating, the house would be warm. 24) I didn’t work hard at school so I didn’t get a good job. If I had worked hard at school, II would have got a good job.