Monday, 2/22/2010, 8:15pm–9:30pm Magnolia A
PETE&C 2010, Hershey, PA
Katie Fishman, Maryann Molishus (teachers)
Larry Kling (Supervisor of Instructional Technology)
Council Rock School District
• Why do you have a ﬁlm or media
festival in your school district?
• OR- Why do you want to have a ﬁlm or
media festival in your school district?
• NETS-S, NETS-T Standards -
addresses many depending on extent
of projects and festival organization
• Students can connect to similar
events already in existence.
• Teachers and students can learn what
a quality project is.
• Student and teacher work is
Decide: Film or Media
• Will you have only ﬁlm submissions or include a
variety of media projects?
• Choices could include: videos such as documentaries,
public service announcements, advertising, ﬁctional
productions, factual presentations; machinima;
animation; video games; music videos; vodcasts;
wikis or other Web sites; PowerPoint presentations;
Photostories or similar projects
• What are the skills of the staff and students in your
• What type of equipment is available?
Decide: Grade Levels
• Plan what grade levels to include.
• Elementary, Middle, High School, All
• You could begin smaller or set up
festivals for your different grade
levels, such as an elementary level
festival or high school festival.
• Teacher submissions? Whole class
• Must be clear for students and
• Must meet needs of your community-
ability level of adults and children
• Web-based? How will this be
• Judges - who will it be at each level?
• Rubric - depends on projects to be
• ? At school level and district level
Funding and Prizes
• Where does funding come from - PTOs, local
businesses, school budget, grants, etc.
• Cost of advertising, prizes, certiﬁcates, reserving
a theater, what else?
• How are prizes awarded - by grade level,
category, special prizes not based on grade level
(by subject area for example or “most
enthusiastic”); or scored against rubric and not
in competition with others; or a combination
• Certiﬁcate of participation for all
• When to have it - spring to have most
projects completed for submission
• Where to have it - a local theater if possible,
or high school auditorium; something special
• Who to invite - tickets to raise $
• Offer training, guest speaker - maybe after
• How does the event run?
• Showcasing projects?
FAQ (and comments)
• Teachers feel intimidated - so they
don’t want to apply
• Why have winners?
Links to Contests and
• Find a way to promote other contests
and activities while promoting your
• Connect to others and share