Jini has served Orbitz well, but at the cost of tight coupling due in part to shared code and Java™ platform serialization rules. To improve agility, Orbitz is migrating to a RESTful Web services architecture using protocol buffers to define message formats. The result is loosely coupled services with autonomous lifecycles supporting evolvability and innovative mashup-style development.
This session is intended for experienced architects and tech leads who are familiar with distributed systems and data encoding methods.
• Using document schemas to constitute language-neutral contracts
• Using standard HTTP plumbing and intermediaries
• Implementing a reverse proxy for request routing based on RESTful URLs
• Applying OLAs for governance and service isolation
• Writing automated service layer tests to ensure backward compatibility