Technology Innovation in
- Moving People and Goods,
and Our Economy
Legislative Councillor (IT)
Service innovation is becoming more and more important in trade
and business, combining information technology, design and service
process improvement. Many European governments have established
policies to promote and support service innovation.
What is the key
- Yard management, shipping and freight and distribution centers use RFID tracking
technology. In the railroad industry, RFID tags mounted on locomotives and rolling
stock identify the owner, identification number and type of equipment and its
characteristics. RFID can be used with a database to identify the lading, origin,
destination and other info of the commodities being carried, increasing supply-chain
transparency and visibility.
- HK Int’l Airport uses RFID tags to identify baggage and cargo. RIFD can speed up the
process and display more datum than bar codes.
- The possibility of reading personally-linked information without consent has raised
privacy concerns. The European Union has signed an agreement in 2011 titled Privacy
and Data Protection Impact Assessment Framework for RFID Applications.
Technology in Environmental Management
- GSM sensor tracks and controls temperature, humidity, brightness and shock.
For example, shifting disease patterns in the highly sensitive pharma and life
Example - DHL Thermonet Tracks Drugs and Life-Sciences Goods With GSM and
Information and Collaboration
- Connected devices will join the tidal wave of data produced by online social
networks to create a large pool of information resources available for
development of new software, services and analysis.
The Internet of
Technology in Space Management
- Amazon.com Inc. makes its biggest acquisition since the 2009 purchase of
Zappos.com, agreeing to pay $775 million for Kiva Systems Inc., a maker of robots
that move items around warehouses.
Video - http://connected.retailnetgroup.com/index.php/2012/03/27/how-amazons-
Technology in Design and Service and Process
- Design and service process, such as packaging, is one of the important parts in
Logistics. The cost and time of 3D prototyping and designing in the
manufacturing process will be halved or even less.
3D printing and
Ref: Makers Party
Some proposed new initiatives
- Wider application of Internet of Things to facilitate cross-boundary trade and
commerce: The HKSAR Gov’t continue to facilitate wider application of
electronic signature certificates with mutual recognition status in cross-
boundary transactions to enhance security and reliability.
- Continue to promote the use of technologies to enhance co-operation in
various areas such as transport management and customs clearance of goods.
- Encourage the academia to exploit such knowledge and expertise and explore
subsequent transfer of such highly valuable assets to the commercial sector.
- Encourage and support SMEs to adopt cloud computing, which is particularly
suitable for their scale and mode of operation.
2014 Digital 21