Did you know that the water you drank this
morning might have been the same water a
dinosaur drank millions of years ago?
There is the same amount of water on Earth
today as there has always been. The water
keeps moving around in an endless cycle
called the water cycle.
Water and health
• The body is comprised of 75%of water.
• We cannot live without water for more
than 24 hours.
• 1.8 million people die from diarrhoeal
death where 90% are children.
• 88% is attributed to unsafe water supply,
inadequate sanitation and hygiene.
How water is linked to health
• Drinking dirty water leads to ill health.
• Unclean water sources like latrines near hand
pumps or taps can contaminate the water from
• Not washing hands before eating.
How to avoid health problems …
• Protect all drinking water sources
• Drink water from only protected water sources
• Wash hands after going to the toilet
• Use toilets – don’t openly defecate
• Wash hands before eating
• Wash vegetables well before cooking
• Cover all food
In 1955, an Indian citizen had 5000 cubic
meters of water at her disposal. Today she has
less than 1500 and it will get lesser in the
• More than 1 billion people in the world have
no access to improved water sources and
nearly 2/3 live in Asia.
• Time your shower to keep it under 5 minutes.
You'll save up to 4000 ltrs a month.
• When you give your pet fresh water, don't
throw the old water down the drain. Use it to
water your trees or shrubs.
• When you are washing your hands, don't let
the water run while you lather.
•Do one thing every day that will
REMEMBER – every drop counts
Do you know how much water it takes to
Bath 50 lts
Brushing teeth with tap running 6 lts per
Brushing teeth with water from
Dripping tap 140 lts per
Washing machines 65 lts
Our duty is to see that we can get
enough water to use and also have
some left for the future.
YYoouu ccaann ddoo ssoommeetthhiinngg ttoo ssaavvee
Save Water : Reduce the
demands on scarce and ground
•Stored water can be used in
non monsoon months.
Reduces erosion and storm
•Saves natural resource presently
•Prevents ground water depletion
•Supports water conservation
•Stores water that would
otherwise lead to flooding.
Methods of saving water
Rain water harvesting in
Chennai and Bangalore
What schools can do …
• Form committees for drinking water and sanitation
• These committees will be in charge of the school and see
that the drinking water areas and toilets are maintained well.
• Ensure that the school practices water conservation and
• Have exhibitions in their own schools for the neighborhood