How to Use Data-Driven Marketing to Boost User Engagement
Gone are the days of shooting in the dark. Today, engagement is a highly targeted and data-driven machine. Every step of the process is carefully crafted to allow for maximum response and action taken by the customer. To enable this, various touch points and the data collected is used to create a suitable customer profile (user persona) which then is used to trigger communications in real time. MoEngage Inc is currently an industry leader in providing similar services, helping its clients see close to 20-30% lift in customer engagement in the first month. This webinar will detail how these big brands have been able to use data, incorporate machine learning and increase customer engagement.
Hosted by Akshatha Kamath, head of content marketing at MoEngage Inc, this webinar featured Anjan Bhojarajan, Vice President growth and head of marketing at HealthifyMe, and Pooja Ravishankar, Associate Head Analytics at BigBasket. With the ever-increasing challenge of user engagement across various channels; the need to enable cross and multi-channel engagement have increased tremendously. Data-driven marketing is the perfect solution to this. The experts featured in this webinar have successfully leveraged tremendous amounts of user data and used technology to target prospects and keep customers happy and engaged.
In this webinar presentation, you'll learn:
- Importance of user personas and their impact on customer journeys.
- How to use technologies like segmentation engines, machine learning to personalize user engagement.
- 3 use cases to try for leveraging data to step up customer engagement.
You can always know more by connecting with us here https://bit.ly/2XwjBKF
How to Use Data-Driven Marketing to Boost User Engagement
Pooja Ravishankar works as the Head of Category Marketing with India’s largest
online grocer, BigBasket. A seasoned e-retail professional, Pooja has more than
half a decade of cross functional experience across Marketing, Analytics and
Product. Her latest role is in Category Management that leverages data analytics
to power marketing of various categories such as fruits and vegetables, staples
and even beauty to customers. An engineer and MBA by education, she has led
key projects at BigBasket. To enumerate a few:
• Building the analytics database platform
• Developing the clickstream suite of analytics on AWS stack
• Developing recommendations model
She also has experience in handling the 360 degree marketing for BigBasket
including offline and online channels. She is a hard core tech enthusiast and
believes that tech is a key lever for problem solving of any kind.
Outside of work, she is the minion to an all powerful one year old who keeps her
Anjan currently works as the VP of Growth and Head of Product at HealthifyMe,
He has shuttled between being a tech geek, an entrepreneur and a product
enthusiast throughout a career of 10 years. While running his own startup and
failing at it taught him a bunch about how not to build a product
He is a part of HealthifyMe's journey from 2 million users to 10 million users
worldwide - expanding from India to South East Asia, and building on existing
expertise to explore new AI based solutions. He looks forward to presenting
some of his experiences during this webinar!
MoEngage is an Intelligent Customer Engagement Platform that allows consumer brands to engage users with the
right content on the right channel, at the right time.
• Built for the mobile-first world. With AI-powered automation, optimization capabilities, and in-built analytics
• Enables hyper-personalization at scale across multiple channels like mobile push, email, in-app, web push, On-site
messages, and SMS.
• Top brands across 35+ countries such as McAfee, Samsung, Tokopedia, Oyo Rooms, and Vodafone use MoEngage to
orchestrate their omnichannel campaigns.
• Featured on Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for two consecutive years and is the youngest company on the list.
Data rules today, here’s why
• 69% of online customers believe that the timing, relevance, and frequency of the
brands message influences their perception of the brand.
• 52% or more customers may switch brands if communications lack personalization.
• More than 59% of managers feel that using customer analytics has improved their
Hello Millennial Marketer - do you eat data for breakfast?
If your answer is yes, then you are in the right direction!
Ecommerce companies collect a treasure trove of data. This data if used well can do wonders to
create unparalleled customer experience.
Here are a few examples where BigBasket leverages data that enables five star
ML based algorithm Predicts needs in next purchase based on
buying patterns of the customer.
Value to customers and BigBasket
• Ranks by need of the day
• Reducing shopping time to only 7 minutes
• Offers recommendations
• Retains higher value variant (promote
organic vs. regular)
Item-item collaborative filtering
Helps product discovery - personalized
based on items bought in other baskets
with items bought by the customer
We measure performance through
precision and recall.
Achieved 4% recall.
Precision - total SKUs bought from reco/
total SKUs reco
Recall - total SKUs bought from reco/
total SKUs bought
1) Segmentation engine
2) bb Lifecycle, Lifestyle, Life stage
4) Based on product purchased, product pages visited
3) Communication touch points - PNs, emails, banners, listing (BBY)
bb Lifecycle, Lifestyle, Life stage
• bb lifecycle - registered but not purchased, first order, 2 order and higher member
• Lifestyle - organic, health conscious, snacker, tea/coffee drinker etc.
• Life stage - family with baby/kids, SINK, DINK, large family, pet owner
• Other - deal seeking, price insensitive.
5 things a marketer needs today
• Deal with data - crunch and interpret
• Listen to customer
• Action data insights ASAP
• Understand basic product and tech
• Learn constantly!
India’s Largest health app
IDG, Sistema, Inventus, Blume, DI, Samsung, Atlas
Top 3 in India, Malaysia, SG
Most Liked Indian Health App Foods + Workouts Tracked
2 Million Kg weight lost
persona early and driving
product flows based on
Understanding user persona early
and driving product flows based on
• 10 Variables – During onboarding.
• Unlocking variables during the
journey of the user.
• Personalization across the app.
Hooks in User journeys:
• Upgrade flows/Coaches/Plans
Feedback loops to marketing
1. Optimized for business goals
2. Typical retention variables:
1. D3 retention
2. Onboarding completion
3. Food logging behavior
3. Typical monetization variables:
1. Funnel flows
2. Revenue per registration
3. Marketing payback
Internal Marketing Strategy
1. Clear definition of segments
2. Clear definition of goals for these
3. Mapping of goals to content
4. Segments <> Content mapping
a. In-app Feeds