What is PCB
• Printed Circuit Board
• PCB board design defines the electrical pathways
• It is derived from a schematic representation of the
• imported from a schematic design, it translates the
schematic symbols and libraries into physical components
• Mass manufacturing
Materials of PCB
• Conducting layers are typically made of thin copper foil.
• The board is typically coated with a solder mask that is
green in color. Other colors that are normally available
are blue and red.
• Unwanted copper is removed from the substrate after
etching leaving only the desired copper routes or
Parts of PCB
• Top Metal Layer
• Bottom Metal Layer
1. Film generation.
2. Shear raw material.
3. Apply image (toner transfer, photosensitive, silkscreen
4. Strip & etch.
5. Solder mask
6. Silkscreen overlay
• A PCB design package allows the designer to define and
design on multiple layers
• Many of these are physical layers such as:
• top layer.
• Bottom layer
• And some are special layers such as:
• Solder & Paste Mask Layers
• Silkscreen or Top Overlay Layers
• Drill guides