Workshop Goals• Define a hero a superhero;• Create a Filipino-inspired story for their cartoon hero;• Design a Pinoy cartoon hero— determine the strengths & weaknesses & the sources of power;• Dress up and equip the cartoon hero;• Identify a potential villain of the hero.
• A fictional character who is noted for feats of courage and nobility, who usually has colorful name and costume and abilities beyond those of normal human beings.*• Secret identity• Extraordinary powers & abilities• High moral code• Back story• Costume and/or symbol and/or trademark Other definitions *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhero
Born: 1938 Abilities: •Vision-related •Ventriloquist •Super-hearing •Super-flightBorn: 1939Created by Bob KaneOther Aliases: DarkKnight, the CapedCrusader, the MaskedManhunter, and theWorlds GreatestDetectiveSkills:Criminology, forensics,Martial arts, gymnastics,disguise
• A good Pinoy name• A catchy Pinoy superhero name• A good subject of art and entertainment• Keen ability• Ethnic-inspired costume• Ethnic gadget• High principles—nobility, honesty, integrity, accountability
Physical characteristics• Black hair• Chinito eyes• Strong jaws• Complexion-fair to mulatto• Height—5’8-6’2
Physical characteristics• Long hair• Oval face• Prominent cheek bones• Feminine Pinay female body built• Height—5’6-5’10
Courtesy of Paneg Nepumuceno’s official website http://members.cox.net/rvd/paeng/ Courtesy of Canada Starboxing http://www.canadastarboxing.com/Ph otos/Manny-Pacquiao-01-0503.jpgCourtesy of Nestle Milohttp://www.milo.com.ph/athletes/lydia.htm
GROUP MECHANICS1.Each gqoup is to select a Pinoy inspiqation.2.Delibeqate on what stqong chaqacteq/peq sonality of First Set inpiqation this of Outputs 1.Face sketch youq you want heqo to 2.Layman’s name imbibe. 3.Back story3.Decide on the 4.Type of conflict pursued physical attqibutes.4.Assign/distqibu
Very muchCOSTUME American-inspired Skin is too exposed. Patterned after Wonderwoman Can be easily detached; no back protection Funny-looking accessory—cape, ornament, not useful
Costume• Distinctive, positive color• Flashy and unique• Skin protector• Light and comfortable• Easy to wear• Ideally, with distinguishing mark
Thiqd Set of Outputs Any of the following1. Back story of the villain/villainess2. Sketch of the villain3. Illustration of a background scene
FINALDEMONSTRATION 11am-12nn• Exhibit of all artworks(Cut the superhero image & paste it on the action scene)• Select a representative in the group to tell the story of your cartoon hero.• The facilitator will make the final assessment.
BasicElements• Definition• Color• Figure/shape• Weapons• Strengths and Weaknesses• Attitude/Values• Background scenes• Local Inspirations
Local Pinoy Inspirations• Inspired by local movies/stories• Panday• Marina• Mulawin• Sports Champions• Manny Pacquiao• Simeon Toribio• Lydia de Vega• Jethro “the jet” Dionisio
Local Pinoy Inspirations• Military Heroes• Jesus Villamor• Boni Serrano• Macario Sakay• Antonio Luna• Heroes from history• Lapu-lapu• Dagohoy• Andres Bonifacio• Literary figures• Lam-ang• Bernardo Carpio
POINTS TO REMEMBERA PINOY HERO should have a/an• BLACK HAIR• NOBLE VALUES & HIGH PRINCIPLES• STRENGTH/S• WEAKNESS/ES• PHYSICALLY GOOD-LOOKING• PINOY NAME
References• All about superheroes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superh ero• Super heroes and their real names - http://www.pubquizhelp.34sp.com/ ent/superhero_names.html• Martial arts - http://www.righthook.com/maseasi a.html• http://www.supermanhomepage.co m• http://www.vanhelsing.net• http://www.batmanbegins/com• http://www.milo.com.ph• http://www.jethrodionisio.com• http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/ p/phillipi.htm
• Real Name: Flavio• Identity/Class: Normal human armed with magical weapon.• Occupation: Blacksmith• Affiliations: "Tata" Temyong (Papa Temyong)• Enemies: Lizardo• Known Relatives: Flavio (his descendent)• Aliases: None known• Base of Operations: The Phillippines• First Appearance: Ang Panday (Pilipino Komiks)• Powers/Abilities: Pandays dagger (balaraw) can cut through virtually any substance without resistance. At times of need it can expand to become a full- fledged sword (espada). It hums when danger threatens.• History: Panday was a metalsmith whose name was Flavio. One night, a meteor (bulalakaw) fell from the sky. He used the metal from the meteor to fashion a dagger. The dagger would magically grow to become a sword when he raised it up and pointed it to the sky. His main arch nemesis was Lizardo, played by Max Alvarado and in the sequels, supernatural beings. Eventually, he kills Lizardo.• Comments: Created by Carlo J. Caparas and artist Steven Gan for "Pilipino Komiks" , adapted to the big screen by Fernando Poe. The original comic was more realistic than the fantastical version developed by Poe, whose movies ensured the characters lasting popularity.• Panday was also the star of an animated series in the Philippines. The character is likely named after real historical figure, metal smith Panday Piray of Pampanga, was so skilled at weapons making and other types of metal working that the Spanish entrusted him with opening the first Spanish artillery foundry in the country.
• Amid was fished out of the sea after the Spaniards threw him away from their boat. There were mixed reactions from the people in the village, some thinking he was a spy from the colonizers; others believing he was the estranged son of the Datu who was killed in one of the battles. Eventually it was decided that he should stay. There he met Dayang Mahalina, the niece of the Sultan and was awed with her beauty. But he has to compete with another Datu who had been pursuing Dayang Mahalina for a long time. When the Sultan died, Dayang Mahalinas father decided to have contest for everyone who wish to have the hand of his daughter in marriage. A contest where they would either lose their dignity or would earn them not only Dayang Mahalinas heart but also the respect of the whole island. Courtesy of http://www.divisoria.net/divisoria/fernandopoejr.html
• A gang of three boys and a girl come in for an unexpected sojourn to a strange neverland, zapped by some mysterious force where they come face to face with an adventure of a lifetime. Stumbling upon magical powers they soon after cross paths with the legendary warrior, Lawin. The strange neverlands last hope of survival against the evil armies of Draka. As the netherworldly configuration of violence and destruction dawn upon them, it likewise becomes clear. The only choice they have is for them kids to hook up with lawin for the final battle for neverland. Courtesy of http://www.divisoria.net/divisoria/fernandopoejr.html
Simeon Toribio• Simeon Toribio, the pride of Zamboanga, was considered the "Filipino Field Athlete of the Half Century" and "Asias Best Athlete" for winning gold medals in the high jump event in the Far Eastern Olympics in 1921, 1923, 1927, 1930 and 1934 and a bronze medal in the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics. According to author Jorge Afable, Toribio could have won the gold medal, if not only for the "call of nature." It was a grueling four-hour competition to jump over the bar raised at 6 feet and six inches high. Toribio, who once made the jump, failed to overcome it the second time because he was distressed by call of nature. Before this, Toribio narrowly missed the bronze in the 1928 Amsterdam Games. In 1930, Toribio was awarded the Helms World Trophy for being Asias greatest athlete. He became a lawyer and a congressman representing Bohol province where he later settled.
Lydia de Vega• Lydia de Vega-Mercado was considered Asias fastest woman in the 1980s. As Asias sprint queen, she ran away with the gold medal in the 100-meter dash in the 1982 New Delhi Asiad and duplicated the feat in the 1986 Seoul Asiad where she was clocked 11.53 seconds. She also brought home a silver medal in the 200-meter race from the 1986 Seoul Asiad. De Vega now serves as a councilor of her native Meycauayan town in Bulacan province.
Jethro "the Jet" Dionisio• Jethro Dionisio, dubbed as "the Jet" because of the speed of his hands, is a six-time world champion in pistol shooting. He won his first national title in 1989 at the age of 17. He won his first international title in California the following year. From practical shooting, Dionisio has now shifted to shotgun firing.
Lam-ang & Bernardo Carpio• Biag ni Lam-ang (Life of Lamang) tells of the adventures of the prodigious epic hero, Lam-ang who exhibits extraordinary powers at a very early age. At nine months he is able to go to war to look for his father’s killers. Then while in search of lady love, Ines Kannoyan, he is swallowed by a big fish, but his rooster and his friends bring him back to life.• The Tagalog have no known epic but it is generally believed that the story of Bernardo Carpio, the man who has been detained by the huge mountains of Montalban is their epic.Courtesy of Early Philippine Literature by Dr. Lilia Quindoza-Santiagohttp://www.ncca.gov.ph/culture&arts/cularts/arts/literary/literary-early.htm
Definition no. 1 • In many myths and folk tales, a hero is a man or woman (the latter often called a heroine), traditionally the protagonist of a story, legend or saga, who commonly possesses abilities or character far greater than that of a typical person, which enable him or her to perform some extraordinary, beneficial deed (a "heroic deed") for which he or she is famous. These powers are sometimes not only of the body but also of the mind. Heroes are typically opposed by villains.Courtesy of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero
Definition no. 2 • Physically strong as they are mentally strong. One needs to be prepared to do any physical work that is needed to help another person. A situation may call for a hero to carry a person very swiftly from danger. One might have to lift a victims body weight. If one doesnt have the physical strength to do so, then the heroism will not be accomplished. A hero has to be mentally strong to withstand the stress when working under pressure. One cant get too nervous under pressure or a terrible mistake may occur. • Most importantly, a hero must be a good role model for children as well as adults.Courtesy of academicdb.com http://www.academicdb.com/definition_a_hero_3766/