العبهة الثبنىية اهتحبن2014اجببتة و قدين نظبم
ARAB REPUBLIC OF EGYPT Ministry of Education
General Secondary Education Certificate Examination, 2014
Second stage – first session (Old System)
First Foreign Language: English (2) Time: 3 hours
االولى االجنبية اللغة(2):االنجليزية(صفحبت اربع فى االسئلة)
ههن تنبيه:فقط االولى االجابة تقدير يتم و تقدر لن متعدد من االختيار اسئلة عن المتكررة االجابات
1) Respond to each of the following situations:
1. Give advice to your friend who is getting fat and wants to
2. Warn your friend who is about to cross the road because
there is a car coming very fast.
3. Your mother is busy doing the housework. You offer to
4. A friend thinks that the traffic problem in Cairo can be
solved in a month. Disagree and give a reason.
1- You should take more exercise. / You should
avoid fatty foods
2- Watch out! A car is coming fast.
3- Would you like me to help you? / I'll help
4- I don't agree with you. It needs a year at least.
2) Mention the place, the speakers and the language functions in
each of the following mini-dialogues:
1. A: Do you remember what happened?
B: No, I just remember waking up in the road.
A: How do you feel now?
B: Not too bad. Will I have to stay here tonight?
A: We will have to check you have no broken bones.
P: hospital SA: doctor /nurse SB: patient/an injured one
F: ask and answer questions
2. A: Excuse me sir. The captain has asked everyone to
fasten their seatbelts.
B: Does that mean we are going to land soon?
A: Yes, in about 20 minutes.
P: a plane SA: flight attendant SB: passenger F: make a request
3) Choose the correct answer from a. b, c or d;
1- She arrived to the cinema late. The movie.... twenty minutes earlier.
a. was beginning b. had begun c. has begun d. began
2- In very hot weather, ice-cream turns to...............
a. water b. solid c. liquid d. moisture
3. Thousands of people moved slowly in the...... of the king's funeral.
a. profession b. procession c. prediction d. position
4. If metal is heated, it................
a. will expand b. expand c. would expand d. expands
5. A long period of dry weather when there is not enough water is a....
a. geyser b. draft c. rainfall d. drought
6. He does not want to live a very......... life. He prefers excitement.
a. conventional b. risky c. dangerous d. exciting
7. That watch ................ have cost a lot of money. It is made of plastic.
a. must b. might c. can't d. can
8. It is hard to walk in space because there is no.............
a. spin b. gravity c. air d. waiting
9. He asked me whether............... to Cairo Tower before.
a. have I been b. I have been c. I had been d. had I been
10. Shakespeare is one of the most famous..............
a. playwrights b. novelists c. professors d. plays
11. I wish I............... where I left my jacket.
a. could know b. knew c. had known d. know
12. Archaeologists are planning a new............... in Luxor next month.
a. excavation b. extension c. exclamation d.
13. She often avoids ............... with strangers as she is very shy.
a. speaks b. to speak c. speak d. speaking
14. That is the school in ............... I had my primary education.
a. which b. where c. whose d. when
15. The hard outside part of a tree is called the................
a. park b. bark c. branch d. brake
16. Scientists predict that mobile phones ...... smaller in the future.
a. will make b. will be made
c. will have made d. will have been made
4- Find the mistake in each of the following sentences, then write it
1- A criminal tries to investigate and find clues to solve
2. Although the doctor's skill, he couldn't save the patient's
3. Salwa wanted to know where did I buy such a nice skirt.
4- The statue was risen 40 metres up a concrete base.
5. The tourist's visit to Abu Simbel Temple was really
6. A trademark, such as a famous building, helps recognise
where you are.
(detective / Despite / I had bought
/raised /impressive /landmark)
5- Read the following passage, then answer the questions:
Plants make most food people eat. They grow
almost everywhere on our planet. Their parts include
roots, stems, and leaves. The root takes in water
and nutrients from the soil. The stem carries water
and nutrients from the roots to the other parts. The
leaves take in nutrients and light. All plants produce
flowers to make seeds so another plant can grow.
Plants need energy to grow, replace damaged cells,
get rid of waste, and reproduce. Photosynthesis is
the process by which plants make food. In this
process, carbon dioxide and water combine in the
presence of light to form food. Plants convert energy
from the sun by absorbing it through their leaves.
Chlorophyll, the green colour found in plants, helps
plants make food. During photosynthesis, leaves use
light and energy to change carbon dioxide and water
into food, and then oxygen is released into the air.
A- Give short answers to the following questions;
1. According to the passage, how do humans
get the oxygen they breathe?
2. Energy is necessary to plants, why?
3. What is the function of the stem and the root
in a plant?
B- Choose the correct answer from a, b, c or d:
4. Plants make food through photosynthesis in which.......
a. water, carbon, and energy
b. light, carbon, and water
c. carbon, light, and dioxide d. light, water, and
5. ......help plants reproduce.
a. seeds and stems b. seeds and
c. roots and seeds d. plants and seeds
6) Read the following passage, then answer the questions:
When we were in England last year, I went fishing
with my friend, Mike. Early in the morning, we were
sitting quietly by the side of a lake when we had an
unpleasant surprise. We saw a duck come along
with three ducklings padding cheerfully behind her.
As we watched them, there was a sudden swirl in
the water. We could see the wild jaws of a shark,
and one of the ducklings was dragged below the
This incident made Mike furious, and thought of
finding a trick to get rid of the shark. On three
successive mornings, we returned to the same place
and used several different kinds of bait. On the third
day, Mike was lucky. Using an artificial frog as bait,
he managed to catch the shark. There was a
desperate fight but Mike was determined to catch
the shark and he succeeded.
1- Give short answers to the following questions:
1- What caused the sudden swirl in water?
The movement of the wild jaws of the a shark
while dragging a duckling
2- How long did it take Mike to catch the shark?
3- What was the effect of dragging the duckling on Mike?
He was furious and decided to get rid of the shark
B- Choose the correct answer from a, b, c or d;
4. The underlined word 'them' refers to .........................
a. the ducklings b. the narrator and Mike
c. the ducklings and Mike d. the duck and three
5. Mike was able to catch the shark by using.........................
a. an artificial jaw as bait b. an artificial frog as
c. an unreal frog as bait d. an unusual duck
A- Answer the following questions:
1. Where did Sapt suggest hiding the King? Why?
2. Why did Antoinette de Mauban come to Paris?
3. What did Sapt and Rassendyll find out when they
reached the cellar in the hunting lodge?
4. Why did Rassendyll visit Princess Flavia?
B- Read the following quotation and then answer the
"Tell your soldiers to ride ahead of me. You can wait here
until I've continued through the old town alone. "
1. Who said this to whom?
Rassendyll says this to Marshal Strakencz.
2. Where was it said?
They are in the streets of Strelsau, going from the
station to the coronation. This is before the
3. What does this show about the character of the speaker?
This shows that he is adventurous. He has the ability
to think and act quickly. He wants to act as a king. He
wants the people to know that he trusts them.
C- Find the mistake in each sentence and correct it;
1. Johann's mother and the king were locked in the hunting
2. Rose received a letter from Antoinette de Mauban telling
her not to go anywhere without many guards.
(cellar of the hunting lodge / Flavia)
E- WRITING [6 MARKS]
Write a paragraph of about 100 words about;
The different ways people can do to keep fit and avoid
F- TRANSLATION [5 MARKS]
A- Translate into Arabic:
Natural disasters occur when forces of nature
damage the environment and affect thousands of people
annually. These include earthquakes, hurricanes, floods,
droughts, volcanic eruptions, fires, and extreme hot or cold
االف على تؤثر و البيئة الطبيعة قوى تدمر عندما الطبيعية الكوارث تحدث
سنويا الناس.و الفيضانات و االعاصير و الزاللزل الكوارث هذه تشمل
المتطرفة البرودة و الحرارة دراجة و الحرائق
B- Translate into English:
1-تعطينا ايضا لكنها فحسب الضوء و الحرارة الشمس تعطينا ال
الضارة البنفسجية فوق االشعة.
The sun doesn't only give us heat and light but also
it gives us harmful ultraviolet rays.
2-متنوعة مجاالت فى االيام هذه الحديثة التكنولوجيا تستخدم
الوراثية الهندسة و الفلك و كالطب.
Nowadays modern technology is used in
different/various fields/ sectors/scopes such as
medicine, astronomy and genetic engineering.