Learn one thing!
Language Arts Literacy
• STANDARD 3.5 (VIEWING AND
MEDIA LITERACY) ALL STUDENTS
WILL ACCESS, VIEW, EVALUATE,
AND RESPOND TO PRINT,
NONPRINT, AND ELECTRONIC
TEXTS AND RESOURCES.
Reasons using new media
• Access-- Liberate teachers and students from
textbook format. Provide alternative resources-
Teachers and students will be able to research
through online resources.
• Global Point of View-- Students and teachers will
participate online discussion groups, weblogs,
wikis, and listservs.
• New tools for classrooms– Students and teachers
will be able to produce media presentations,
learning objects, interactive teaching material.
Course has three main parts
• De-construct: (Read Media) Media Literacy
Activities (deconstructing webpages, news,
advertisement, and newspapers; POV (point of
view) exercise, etc.)
• Research: (Use Media) Information Literacy
(Library Skills, researching internet resources,
• Construct: (Write Media) Media Production
(Create an oral history project, video
documentary, website, webquest, weblog, and