Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Cystic fibrosis

917 views

Published on

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Cystic fibrosis

  1. 1. WHAT IS CYSTIC FIBROSIS?• It is the second most common inherited disease occurring in childhood in the US.• It causes thick, sticky mucus to form in the lungs, pancreas and other organs.• It blocks the airways, causing lung damage and making it hard to breathe.• In the pancreas, it clogs the pathways leading to the digestive system, interfering with proper digestion.• More than 10 million Americans carry the defective cystic fibrosis gene without knowing it.• 30,000 people in the United States have CF. About 1,000 new cases of cystic fibrosis are diagnosed each year.
  2. 2. WHAT CAUSES CYSTIC FIBROSIS?A person must inherit two defective CF genes—one from each parent—to have CF.Each time two carriers of the defective gene conceive, there is a:• 25 percent chance that their child will have Cystic Fibrosis.• 50 percent chance that the child will inherit one defective gene and be carrier but not have the disease.• 25 percent chance that the child will not have the gene at all.
  3. 3. HOW SERIOUS IS CYSTIC FIBROSIS?Bacteria grows in the mucus, leading to life-threatening lung infections that can damage the lungs.• This makes breathing difficult.• In some people with CF, the disease begins at childhood.• The life expectancy of people with CF, is rising (30s, 40s, and beyond).• People with CF are also at increased risk of diabetes and osteoporosis.• Prevents normal digestion and leads to malnutrition.• Life-threatening lung infections that can damage the lungs.
  4. 4. WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?The most common symptoms of CF are:• Very salty-tasting skin• Persistent coughing, wheezing or shortness of breath• Excessive appetite but poor weight gain• Greasy, bulky stoolsWays to detect CF:• CF is diagnosed through the sweat test, which measures the amount of salt in the sweat. A high salt level indicates that a person has CF.• CF also can be identified before birth through prenatal screening and after birth through newborn screening.
  5. 5. HOW IS CF TREATED?Airway clearance techniques to clear mucus from the lungs:• One technique is called postural drainage and percussion. The person with CF sits, stands or lies in a position that helps free up mucus. The chest and back are pounded and clapped to loosen the mucusInhaled medicines:• TOBI, an aerosolized antibiotic used to treat lung infections• Pulmozyme, a mucus-thinning drug shown to reduce the number of lung infections and improve lung function• Bronchodilator medicines to help open the airways• Hypertonic saline to help draw more water into the airways to thin mucusOther treatments:• Azithromycin, an antibiotic that fights bacteria in the lungs• Anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen to help reduce swelling in the airways• Lung transplantation may be an option in some severe cases of CF.
  6. 6. LIVING WITH CFA person with CF is always at risk of lung infections. Ways to lessen the risk include:• Frequent handwashing with soap and water or hand gel• Avoid unnecessary contact with people who have a cold or other contagious illness• Get a flu shot every year• Dont smoke and stay away from secondhand smoke
  7. 7. THE END Pedro Nardi Manuel Van Peborgh Nacho Achaval

×