1
Year of Establishment: 1986

Type of Institution: Not for profit and non-government organization (NGO).

Goal:     To impr...
Brief Overview of Micro Finance Program of Padakhep:
Microfinance, the basic program of Padakhep follows Holistic Approach...
Targeted Youth/Street Children : “Street children are those who are of the street
and on the street”. There are about 5,00...
Market Research/Survey: Considering the diversified need of the target Youth it is done
continuously in the field situatio...
Figure-3: STREET CHILDREN PROGRAM: WORKING APPROACH




                                       Op ch
                     ...
Credit Delivery & Recovery Mechanism:                           Financial Service             As of
Delivery Mechanism:   ...
Impacts of the Financial Services :
•Created Savings scope
•Reduced Income misuse
•Created Self-employment scope through m...
Sustainability of the Program:
•Program recovers 70% of its operational cost from service charges earned and the rest 30%
...
Conclusion:
•For successful conduction of financial services, ensuring non financial services are must.
•Collaboration & p...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

9.30.09 Padakhep Presentation

582 views

Published on

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
582
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
3
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

9.30.09 Padakhep Presentation

  1. 1. 1
  2. 2. Year of Establishment: 1986 Type of Institution: Not for profit and non-government organization (NGO). Goal: To improve quality of life of the poor and the community people as a whole. Target Group: Major Products & Services Disadvantaged and underprivileged Offered: men, women and children Micro Finance Landless, marginal and small farmers Agriculture Street children Education Adolescents Health/HIV/AIDS Youths Environment Promotion Working Area & Beneficiary Coverage: All over Bangladesh About 10 million Beneficiaries 2
  3. 3. Brief Overview of Micro Finance Program of Padakhep: Microfinance, the basic program of Padakhep follows Holistic Approach and operated both in rural and urban areas. Total Member 360000 Total Borrower 324000 % of Women Borrower 95 HOUSINGG Loan outstanding US$ million 50.50 SANITATION Total Savings US$ million 3.50 PAR>30 days 1.8% Average Loan Size US$ 200 Financial Self Sufficiency 110% Operational Self Sufficiency 115% 3 Figure-1: Savings and Credit Products of Padakhep
  4. 4. Targeted Youth/Street Children : “Street children are those who are of the street and on the street”. There are about 5,00,000 street children in Bangladesh . Characteristics: • Age between 08-18 • Home/Shelterless • Dreamless • Visionless • Careless Photographs of the Street Children will • Guardianless be added here later on. • Poor personal hygiene • Psychological Trauma Reaching the Street Children: Realizing vulnerability of the Street Children that they have no access to financial services, health, education, no awareness on STI/HIV/AIDS through a study, Padakhep developed & started both financial & non-financial interventions in 1999. •Microfinance Interventions formally started in 2000 •CGAP/World Bank ProPoor Innovation Award US$ 50,000 4 received in 2001
  5. 5. Market Research/Survey: Considering the diversified need of the target Youth it is done continuously in the field situation and in the center places: •For Products & Services designing Figure-2: Holistic Products & Services for Street Children Drop-in C cum S enter Schoo lin helter Educa g/ Home tion Psych Reinte olog gration Couns ical with eling family/C omm unity Aware Vocatio ness na Raisin Trainin l g g Improved Improved Nutritio Quality of Life n Quality of Credit Life Health Servic Saving e s Recrea tiona Activitie l s Job Pla ce ment Referr al Legal Aid Advoc 5 ac y
  6. 6. Figure-3: STREET CHILDREN PROGRAM: WORKING APPROACH Op ch en ool S Ai r D Po as et et ck o er e f In tre ren C SURVEY OF A r re e m t DROP IN fo et S ild DI REGISTRATION OF PERSONAL Ch out ice in e rm THE AREA ab e r St ildr e CENTER CHILDREN Ch HYGIENE S v n Ce se ol s Ba ho nt d Sc er Legal Night Aid Shelter JOB REFFERAL PLACEMENT Health Counseling Nutrition SKILL/VOC. TRADE/SKILL MARKET Education Awareness TRAINING SELECTION SURVEY Recreation SAVINGS AND CREDIT F O L L O W U P 6
  7. 7. Credit Delivery & Recovery Mechanism: Financial Service As of Delivery Mechanism: Performance Indicators June 2009 • Both group & individual children & their family are Total Children in the Program 9000 given loan: Number of active borrowers 3200 * Those who completed 40 weeks of non financial services, education sessions & phased out Portfolio outstanding (US$) 295,000 through evaluation. Average loan size US$ 70 * Those who saved for at least 40 weeks PAR >30 day 3% • Risks assessment is made through different interviews & interactions. Total Savings Balance US$ 50,000 • Using Capacity is assessed to operate income Average Savings US$ 20.50 generating activities. Number of depositors 8500 • Initial loan size is on an average US$ 70.00 Financial self-sufficiency 70% Recovery Mechanism: Loans are collected/recovered with service charges Operational self-sufficiency 85% daily, weekly, monthly and one-time by the loan officers. % of female Children 55% •Recovery is made at the centers and in some cases at Number of employees 55 the working places. Major Income Generating Activities Operated: Service Charge (Flat rate) 12.5% • Small Business/Trading Savings Interest Rate 7% • Manufacturing • Tailoring/Embroidery/Hair cutting/Beauty Parlor Exchange rate 1US$: 70 BDT 7 • Mechanical Works like, repairing, wiring, welding, etc.
  8. 8. Impacts of the Financial Services : •Created Savings scope •Reduced Income misuse •Created Self-employment scope through micro credit intervention. •Increased Income of the Children. •Enhanced family attachment •Improved quality of life and livelihood of street children remarkably. Impacts of the Non Financial Services: •Substantially reduced involvement with crime acts and violence. •Reduced Vulnerability to STI/HIV/AIDS. •Greatly improved personal hygiene status. •Changed negative attitude towards their life. •Enhanced capability of identification and solution of their problems with their own efforts. •Increased skill development through vocational training. •Enhanced access to education 8
  9. 9. Sustainability of the Program: •Program recovers 70% of its operational cost from service charges earned and the rest 30% cross-subsidized by organization, sponsorships and donations. •Padakhep expects program will recover 100% of its operating cost by 2011. Lessons learnt: •Need to have flexible terms and conditions for operating savings and credit. •Program staff should be self-motivated and specifically trained •More orientation/trainings on financial management is required. •Vocational trainings are very essential. •Community interactions for sustainable program operation is essential. •Brain storming session with the staffs and other resource persons has to be organized to enhanced knowledge skill. •Collaboration with government, national and international agencies are to be strengthened. Challenges: •Financial self sufficiency for sustainable operations of the program. •Expansion/Outreach coverage of more children. •Linking guardians and also different stakeholders of the community. •High staff turnover rate. •To have technical support for further improvement of the program 9
  10. 10. Conclusion: •For successful conduction of financial services, ensuring non financial services are must. •Collaboration & participation of other stakeholders is needed for operational success. Street children program is a priority program of Padakhep. We, Padakhep as a whole, hope to strike for the further success in this particular program. 10

×