1. Explain that science involves asking
2. Describe the relationship of matter and
energy to physical science.
3. Describe the two branches of physical
4. Identify three areas of science that use
The process of gathering knowledge about the
This is done through making observations and
study of matter and energy
Matter is the “stuff” everything is made of.
Energy is the ability to do work.
What is Physical Science?
Learning about matter and energy will help
you answer questions such as:
1. Why will paper burn but gold will not?
2. Why is it harder to throw a bowling ball than a
3. How can water turn into steam and back into
Branches of Physical
Science: Physical science is usually divided into:
○ The study of all forms of matter, including how matter
○ Looks mostly at energy and how energy affects
Other related sciences:
The study of the Earth’s atmosphere, especially
weather and climate.
Meteorologists must understand High and Low
pressure, motion, and force before they can predict
The study of the origin, history, and structure of Earth.
Geochemists are geologists who apply their
knowledge of heat, force, and chemistry to
understand how rocks and soil change over time.
The study of life. Chemistry and physics explain
many things that happen in biology.
A chemical reaction explains how animals use sugar
and oxygen to produce carbon dioxide and water
and to release energy.