What is it?
• The term Jacksonian Democracy refers to the time of 1825-
• Historians have viewed this time as a time of democratic riot
where the masses demanded change and it happened.
• They also claim this is responsible for democratic tradition we
still have today, as opposed to a more conservative
• The best way to understand is this was a conflict between the
poor farmers laborers and Non-capitalist vs. the business and
Ok... How does Andrew Jackson fit in?
• The reason why this change in policy and America
mindset happened under Jackson and not some other
president is quite simple, Andrew Jackson was a more
• This means that the average American could look up at
Jackson and see some of himself in him. This was a
radical change from the previous presidents who were
all rich well educated men all their lives.
• Andrew Jackson was seen as a common man who rose to
greatness, The somewhat ironic thing was Jackson might
have been that earlier in life but during his adult hood he
was a rich plantation owner
• He also was more radical In some of his policies and
Where did the parties come from?
• As some of you may know under President James
Monroe the country had no political parties to
speak of, as the last of the Federalists had been
• However many Americans were not happy with
the current voting system as they had little to no
say in the out come, they didn’t get to elect the
electoral college either.
• Jacksonians pushed for election by the common
man that was only the start.
Them dirty Whigs
• Jacksonian Democracy was a force of change and like all great
movements through out history not everybody approved of
• So lets bring out the Whigs!!!!!!!!
• The people who created the Whig party were also supporters
of Jeffersonian democracy, however they viewed Jackson and
the change he brought as to much and stood in opposition to
• Their leaders were Henry Clay and John Quincy Adams
• Wanted voting rights and
office holding to be
available to all white men
• Wanted to remove the
elitist ideology from society
• Supported getting rid of the
Second Bank of the United
• Wanted a strong
government with smart
wealthy men, so supported
• Party is mostly comprised of
• Fought tooth and nail to try
and keep the bank
UP!!!!!THIS MEANS YOU!!!!
YA YOU!! You think I didn’t see
that!!!!! Oh you are so getting
• Before Jacksonian democracy The amount of people
who took part in presidential elections was about 28%
Most men were not eligible or knew their votes didn’t
• After the new idea of Jacksonian democracy began to
spread many states made it so any White male could
vote if he paid taxes
• This also led to more direct methods of electing people
to represent the masses meaning their votes counted
• After the change about 80% of men voted in the
• Believe it or not being L33t didn’t always
mean you were a great gamer
• Back during this time period there was a very
definite separation between the elite and the
• Many Jacksonians resented that and believed
that the supposed “Elite should not have any
privileges extended to them”
Second bank of the United States
• Jacksonians detested the bank because many
of them were farmers who had there farms
foreclosed on them.
• When the Re-charter for The second national
bank had been ratified by congress but
Jackson Vetoed it because it hurt our country
more than it helped it.
• Jacksonians greatly affected westward
expansion with their great drive to make it
• They supported the idea and wanted to
continue on with the ideals of manifest
destiny fueling them
• Jackson was a supporter and helped clear the
way by removing tribes from the new land.