Getting more from TwitterSeptember 2012 www.digitaltomorrowtoday.com
Who are we?• Digital Marketing Veterans• Direct Marketing Experts• Creators of BirdSong – Social Media Reconnaissance
Background• Most brands are using Twitter with competence• Like any marketing channel its use can be improved to deliver greater results• Whilst many brands skip straight to mentions and influence, we believe that an improved presence will help build strong foundations for growth• Using BirdSong we illustrate how brands can be improving their existing presence and strategy to improve engagement and results
1. Understand your audience• How much do you know about your followers?• Have you ever asked your database for their Twitter account?• Have you ever asked your Twitter users if they have bought from you?• By understanding a little more about your followers, you could be gaining a lot more value form them
• Understand more about your audience• Or those of your competition!
2. Be there for the customer• Too many brands manage their Twitter account round their office hours• But what if your audience is more active after office hours?• If you are not paying attention, you could lose customers to smarter rivals
3. Engage, don’t broadcast• Twitter is NOT a broadcast medium• Make sure your Tweet stream is a good mix of tweets, replies and retweets• The more engaging your content, the more engagement you will receive
4. Follow Back• On average a brand follows between 10% and 30% of its followers• Some brands have in house algorithms for choosing whom to follow but many just don’t• Not all users know the .@ prefix . Without following a consumer, the brands may miss @ mentions.• Following a user shows your brand cares about their opinion
5. Follow More• You can identify a potential audience through listening for brand or relevant mentions• However, if 40% all users never actually tweet, you are missing a % of the audience• By identifying users that follow your competitors or cross referencing them against other accounts will give you a better understanding of potential customers by their actions, not words• Some examples…
Follower overlap for BA & El Al By identifyingthe cross overwe can identify a potentiallymore valuable audience
6. Align your message!• Tweet streams need to be organic, delivering value to your followers• Successful tweet streams will also have some impact on search results• So don’t forget to mention what you do!
Conclusion• These are 6 initial steps to improve your Twitter presence• By improving the efficiency of your Twitter profile you can achieve greater engagement and visibility• From greater engagement and visibility comes greater opportunities to generate reaction, growth and sales from your Twitter profile
These insights and many moreare available atwww.birdsongdtt.com