By Mitchell Shannon
This presentation is about bullying in social media andwill cover the following topics; What is it and why does it happen...
Social Media is a critical part of society today, the ability to contact people instantly, share photos with friendsand fa...
Although comments, likes and shares are fairly direct forms of bulling, there are also much scarier butless direct forms o...
Bullying online can create a variety of different mental problems amount young people, some ofwhich including depression, ...
Being bullied online often leaves the victim powerless, especially in a situation where multiplepeople have joined in to p...
Using Facebook as an example, they have a variety of different approaches that individual users cantake when they feel the...
 Fake profiles of themselves or public figures Harassing/threatening messages about them or others Hate speech, spam an...
Although major social media outlets take steps to prevent online bullying andharassment, online bullying continues to happ...
My name is Mitchell Shannon, a 21 year old Ontario born and raised student studyingBusiness – Operations at Durham College...
1. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.internetsafety101.org/cyberbullyingstatistics.htm2. Elizabeth , L. (n.d.). Retrieved ...
Bullying in social media presentation
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Bullying in social media presentation

410 views

Published on

Published in: Technology, Career
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
410
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
20
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
11
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Bullying in social media presentation

  1. 1. By Mitchell Shannon
  2. 2. This presentation is about bullying in social media andwill cover the following topics; What is it and why does it happen? How does bullying online affect the victim? Processes that major outlets take to prevent bullying online Closing thoughts About me References
  3. 3. Social Media is a critical part of society today, the ability to contact people instantly, share photos with friendsand family, read trending articles that your friends have also read and the ability to connect with each otherin a way that was unheard of as little as 10 years ago is truly incredible. But with all good, there is alwayssomething bad. To some social media can be a great tool and fun past time, but to others it can be a cruel wayto be criticized, harassed and bullied in a way that everyone can see, often times going unreported with noone stepping in to stop the abuse. Although bullying online can happen to anyone, it is most commonlyfound with young people both male and female. With the introduction of commenting, liking and sharingphotos on popular outlets like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter, online bullies are able to harass and bullytheir victims at virtually any time of the day and any day of the month essentially leaving the victim with no“safe zone” or place to go where they won’t be faced with some form of bullying.
  4. 4. Although comments, likes and shares are fairly direct forms of bulling, there are also much scarier butless direct forms of bullying online. Victims have reported finding fake profiles that share all theirpersonal information online, including school information, home address and contact information.Others have reported finding fake “groups” dedicated to bullying them, allowing multiple people togang up on the victim. According to statistics 1 in 5 incidents get reported to law officials, regardlessof the fact that bullying online is punishable by law.
  5. 5. Bullying online can create a variety of different mental problems amount young people, some ofwhich including depression, panic disorder, agoraphobia in females, and increased likeliness ofsuicide in males. Teen suicide rates have been on the rise since the invention of social media andbullying online, with statistics showing that 28% of people bullied online have considered suicide.With the ease of access and partial anonymity of being online every user of social media is at risk inone way or another of being bullied online.
  6. 6. Being bullied online often leaves the victim powerless, especially in a situation where multiplepeople have joined in to publically ridicule and harass them. Statistics show that only 1 in 10young people report online bullying to parental authorities – often due to embarrassment andfear that the perpetrator will retaliate in a physical way. Being that 85% of people bullied onlineknow their bully in real life, the chances of face to face confrontation increase dramaticallycompared to the 15% rate where the bully doesn’t know their victim (often seem onanonymous websites like public forums or YouTube).
  7. 7. Using Facebook as an example, they have a variety of different approaches that individual users cantake when they feel they are being bullied online. When someone presses the “Report” button onFacebook, someone or group of people at Facebook review the reported material and delete at theirdiscretion. Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and all other forms of social media have lengthy terms ofuse that their users must abide by. Along with measures put in place to report and delete onlineharassment, social media outlets have stepped up their policies to now allow temporary orpermanent banning on their sites to prevent reoccurrences.
  8. 8.  Fake profiles of themselves or public figures Harassing/threatening messages about them or others Hate speech, spam and pornography Embarrassing or suggestive photos Hurtful comments or posts
  9. 9. Although major social media outlets take steps to prevent online bullying andharassment, online bullying continues to happen every single day. With somany people at risk of being bullied online and the risk of severe mentaldisorders including extreme isolation, panic disorders and tragically suicideall users of social media are encouraged to report malicious behavior as soonas it happens and work together to create a safer experience for other peopleonline.
  10. 10. My name is Mitchell Shannon, a 21 year old Ontario born and raised student studyingBusiness – Operations at Durham College. When I was in grade 10 of high school Iexperienced bullying online. I was notified by a friend that some classmates made agroup about me on Facebook that had some very hateful things posted in it – includingpictures taken from my profile page. At the time I felt very hurt and powerless, afterreporting it several times to Facebook the page was eventually deleted but Iexperienced firsthand what others report feeling after experiencing that kind of abuse –isolation, increased panic and fear, and depression. It wasn’t until just recently that Ieven told my parents that the events happened online because I was embarrassed bywhat had happened. At the time I felt very alone and I would say that the events thatperspired have really changed who I am online. The reason that this is so important tome is because I feel that no person should have to experience unpleasantness online,things like Facebook and YouTube should be enjoyed instead of feared for what couldhappen. I also feel that until you understand something you can’t work to make it anybetter and also that everything you release to the digital world represents you forever,so I strive to only release things that actually represent who I am.- Mitchell Shannon
  11. 11. 1. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.internetsafety101.org/cyberbullyingstatistics.htm2. Elizabeth , L. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/27/health/cyberbullying-online-bully-victims3. Schurgin-O, G., & Clarke-Pearson, K. (n.d.). Retrieved fromhttp://www.pediatricsdigest.mobi/content/127/4/800.full4. Salmivalli, C. S. (n.d.). Retrieved fromhttp://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2337(1996)22:1<1::AID-AB1>3.0.CO;2-T/abstract5. Webster, R. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.bullyingstatistics.org/content/cyber-bullying-statistics.html

×