http://www.hkcss.org.hk/download/folder/el/el_eng.pdf The Hong Kong population is ageing. The proportion of the population aged 65 and over has increased. At the mid of 2008, the population of elderly persons aged above 65 is 12.6% (0.88 million) of the total population in HK. It is estimated that in 2016 and 2033, the percentage will increase to 14% and 27% respectively.
Although most of the elderly persons are still living with their families (around 74.1% of the elderly population), more and more of them are either living alone (11.6%) or living with their spouse only (21.2%).
Elderly Problems in Hong Kong
Introduction/ Background (1 lesson)
• News reading
• Questions for discussion
Role Play 角色扮演 (3 lessons)
• Discussion and Debate
• Preparation for the role play
• Role play begins
Role Play – Grouping ( 分組 )
• 6 Groups
• Each group contains exactly 6 students
• Each group please hand in your grouping list
(just write down the names and class numbers
of all the 6 group members in a piece of
Elderly Population in Hong Kong
• Basically, Hong Kong is an aging
society ( 人口老化的社會 ).
• People at the age of 65 make up
about 11-12% (0.84 million) of the
total population at the moment.
• It is predicted ( 估計 ) that by
2032, there will be 1 out of 4
people at the age of 65.
Everywhere in the
world are facing the
problem of ageing
In the world, the
number of people older
than 65 will rise to 1.4
billion (14 億 ) by 2040
from about 506 million
報章概要 – 誰來照顧外婆 ?
• David Croser 把他的母親 (Mrs Alice Croser)
遺棄在悉尼火車站 , 於是她被送去緊急庇護所
• Alice Croser 的 9 個兒女都不願意照顧她
• 究竟照顧老人是家庭還是政府的責任 ?
Who is to take care of granny?
1. Suggest some reasons why the old lady is not
welcome by her children.
2. Are Mrs Croser’s children responsible for
taking care of their old mother? Why?
Discussion (10 minutes)
3. Who, do you think has a greater
responsibility in looking after the elderly, the
government or the family?
4. In what way are the Asian countries ( 亞洲國
家 ) different from the Western countries ( 西
方國家 ) in looking after the elderly? Which in
your opinion is better?
• filial piety ( 孝道 ) e.g. Chinese people stress filial piety.
• dutiful ( 盡責 ) e.g. Mr. and Mrs. Chan are dutiful parents,
they take care of their children well.
• lonely ( 孤獨 ) e.g. Mrs. Wong feels very sad and lonely.
• living environment/ condition ( 居住環境 ) e.g. The living
environment/ condition of poor people is bad.
• used to / accustom ( 習慣 ) e.g. I used to live on my own./ I
am not accustomed to live with other people.
• temper ( 脾氣 ) e.g. My grandfather has bad temper.
• his/her own wish ( 他 / 她的意願 ) e.g. Living in the
Home for Elderly is grandmother’s own wish.
• financial burden ( 經濟負擔 )
• helpless ( 無助 )
• moral ( 道德 ) / immoral ( 不道德 )
• harmony ( 融洽 )
• interpersonal relationship ( 人際關係 )
East & West
Asian society Western Society
Live with the parents even
Leave their parents when
people grow up or after
“An elder at home is a
to provide welfare and
service for the elders
Please remember to hand in
the grouping list
in tomorrow’s lesson~ ^.^