13. the case of the horriﬁc data citizens cal & chris save the day
14. I haven't the
You know, Chris,
foggiest. Let's So, they log onto the Caltrain site...
this is alot of
fun, but i need to
get going. do you
know when the
next Caltrain is?
HOW DO THEY
EXPECT US TO
not long ago...
That will never
And the two of them go off to redesign...
25. Hi!! I'm Mark
Kuznicki and I'm
So this guy and a
bunch of others put
this thing on...
Is that a
And Designs for the
new TTC website...
And Ideas for transit in
29. As the fires raged around them, citizens with
cameras, phones, computers and other
30. They reported on everything they could find
out so that others could find their loved
31. They made maps from data gathered from
various sources (mostly other citizens
recording openly online)...
32. They took over 10,000 photos, many of which
were used by news stations...
33. ...The traditional news outlets have done a fantastic
job of sensationalizing the already sensational...If
their goal was simply to make me anxious, then job
34. Fortunately, we have the Internet, with its Web 2.0,
open API’s, and several clever people who have
been able to assemble some very useful
information. Here’s my favorite of the bunch. It’s a Google Map of
the San Diego area, with polygons and icons showing the perimeter of
the ﬁre at various times throughout the past few days, along with
road closings, shelter locations, and other updates.
48. how to encourage collaboration
1.be a platform (provide
APIs - make data
A quot;platformquot; is a system that can be
programmed and therefore customized by
outside developers – users – and in that
way, adapted to countless needs and niches
that the platform's original developers could
not have possibly contemplated, much less
had time to accommodate.
–Marc Andreessen, http://blog.pmarca.com/2007/09/the-three-
kinds.html talk to us about
50. how to encourage collaboration
1.be a platform (provide 6.show progress
APIs - make data
7. take simple, small steps
8.reach out to people from
9.view the public as a
4.embrace the chaos partner, not a recipient
5.reward contributors 10.run real, open betas
60. About those rockin’ images
• Many of them are purchased from iStockPhoto.com
• Those borrowed from Flickr are:
• Cal Henderson: http://ﬂickr.com/photos/laughingsquid/108769433/
• California Fires: http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/slworking/1721837998/
• Caltrain: http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/roland/156255158
• Chris and Cal Yell: http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/stewart/84223661/
• Chris and Cal Laugh: http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/foolswisdom/86710196/
• TTC street shot: http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/tracer/117014378/
• Transit Waiting Area: http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/mag/374819180/
• Accordian Guy: http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/willpate/381425426/
• Design Slam TransitCamp: http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/brycej/380827536/
• Whiteboard TransitCamp: http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/rdi/379668453/
• The Grid TransitCamp: http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/brycej/380816409/