Successfully reported this slideshow.
You’ve unlocked unlimited downloads on SlideShare!
• What do we learn about men from Four Lions?
• What do we learn about women?
• What words would you use to describe the male
and female representation used in Four Lions
• Why do you think they are represented this way?
Make a positive/negative table for…
White British and Muslim British
Are there any blaring similarities or differences?
Terrorism in Four Lions
• Fill in the Venn Diagram which details the
similarities and differences between…
Jihadists in Mainstream Media
Jihadists in Four Lions
Many commentators have focused on one scene
in the film – that in which Omar talks to his wife
and his son after the accident with Faissal.
Do you think that the scene is a ‘mistake’ by
Morris or is it key to ‘humanising’
the characters? What does it
make the audience think about?
Does laughing at the idiocies of the ‘terrorists’
mean that young Muslims are being demeaned
or does it mean that they are being ‘normalised’
and made less ‘other’?
• What is interesting about the ethnic
representation in Four Lions?
• What is the effect of these portrayals?
• Are they fair/unfair?
• Does it challenge, or confirm stereotypes?
A lot of the comedy focuses on aspects of Islam
that most people in the UK don’t understand –
e.g. the promise of an afterlife for the suicide
bombers. Whereas the
stereotype circulated in much
of the UK tabloid press attempts
to oversimplify and present a
monolithic religious culture.
• What is the predominant ethnicity represented in
• Describe how it is represented with examples
• Are there any other ethnicities in the film?
• Describe how they are portrayed also
• What are the effects of such representations?
Ideologies are values/messages or beliefs that a
media-maker is trying to get across.
What are the dominant ideologies in Love
Actually shown through representation?
Discuss how either gender OR ethnicity is
represented in both Four Lions and