-All media texts tell us some kind of story and
the term narrative is the way this process of
telling stories is organised, how stories are
structured and then potentially decoded or
-Narrative has two parts:
• The structure of narrative is where Todorov’s
theory comes into play.
• His theory states that there are five stages to
every film, the five stages are:
1. A state of equilibrium.
2. Disruption of that order by an event.
3. Recognition that the disorder has occurred.
4. Attempt to repair the damage done.
5. A return or restoration of a new equilibrium.
1.A state of
order by an
5.A return or
of a new
1. State of equilibrium:
Family move into a hotel for dad’s business career.
2. Disruption by event:
Child hears voices and sees ghosts and the mum sees that the father
has done no work apart from writing “all work and no play makes
Johnny a dull boy”
3. Recognition of disruption:
Father tries to kill wife and son.
4. Attempt to repair damage:
Try to escape the terror.
5. A return or reformation of a new equilibrium:
Wife and son get in a truck and drive away and escapes and live
Homework for this theory
• Apply this theory to a film of your choice.
• Write up on your blog as an entry rather than
as a presentation/powerpoint/preszi.