Leif Magnusson: Unesco LUCS – local Unesco center for collaboration
Unesco LUCS – local Unesco center
International conference „Integration Challenges in a Radicalizing World“
29 – 30 November 2016, Tallinn, Estonia
Unesco LUCS idea
Unesco LUCS works to understand and find solutionsfor:
• How to create equal and cohesive local
communities/places free from racism and discrimination?
• How to developinterculturaland interreligiousdialogue in
order to buildsustainable local communities.
• Find methods for strengthening social cohesionand
enabling sustainable interculturalcommunities free from
• Explore, formulate and establish a new approach to
integration. More focus on culturally inclusivecitizenship.
• No single organisation can solve the social challenges
formulated by Unesco LUCS alone.
Unesco LUCS platform
•The starting point is provided by UNESCO development
goals. Unesco LUCS contributeson the local level.
•Unesco LUCS is a national knowledgenetwork to find and
strengthen colloaborationbetween politics, local public
administration, civil society, corporationsand the research
•To buildnew collaborationand knowledgealliances within
and between municipalities.
Knowledge is the method
• Everything stars with pilot projects.
• Each project is organised, politicallysupported with
responsibilitiesclarified and equally balanced between
academia, civil society and corporations.
• Each project is a meeting point for knowledge exchange,
reflection and action.
• We contributeto UNESCO knowledge bank and
developmentand work actively to communicate the
Interaction model for knowledge pilot
Politics & Local
Research Civil Society &
Example 1. Anti-rumour campaign
• Dismantle rumours that create hostilityand/or conflict
• Rumour themes in Botkyrka: criminality, incompatible
cultures, unfair distribution of public resourses and the
threat to The Swedish Culture.
• Target group: youths, 18-25.
• Training courses for anti-rumour
agents in local public administration
2. Language friend
• Purpose to build bridges between migrants
and locals for faster integration.
• Develop a two-way cultural exchange with
• Start in Eskilstuna 2006. Now expanded to 120
municipalities in Sweden.
• Positive results. Contacts make life easier and
support mutual, intercultural understanding.
• More women than men engaged. families
3. Power of pictures
• Launches March 2017.
• Purpose to developand spread knowledge regarding
stereotype images, history and function.
• Resulot presented on the web, app and exhibition.
Teacher material will support usage in schools.
• Material uniquefor Sweden and will give practical insights
and educational support.
4. Equal Health
• Inequalities observed in cancer prevention.
• Regional Cancer Centre Stockholm-Gotland working to
improve equal access to cancer screening and care.
• Collaborationwith Botkyrka municipalityregarding
knowledge and risks.
• Different local ambassadors trained to
share message on prevention and
treatment programs in the local
What does Unesco LUCS do?
RESEARCH + MONITORING (REPORTS)
Unesco LUCS municipal members
Botkyrka + Multicultural Centre and
Unesco LUCS HQ
Presentation given at International conference
Integration Challenges in a Radicalising World
29 – 30 November 2016 in Tallinn, Estonia
For more conference materials and presentations
please visit www.misakonverents.ee