• To find good project manager is one
of the most important and demanding
task. It is because of complexity of this
• Project managers are involved in the
project from when the contract
document is picked up to when all
works has been completed and all
changes or conflict has been resolved.
An analysis showed that three criteria are important to
decision to select a project manager
• Personal Competencies: analytical thinking, self-
confidence, adaptability, system thinking,
• Behavioral Competencies: program leadership,
organizational influence, high-performing team
leadership, partnering, accountability
• Knowledge and Skill/Technical: project management
knowledge, instrumental Skills/Tools.
• In the last years, projects have grown more complex and more costly.
Meeting deadlines is more important than ever in a growing global
• Thus finding the correct answer to the question “Who is going to
manage the project?” is a an aspect of success and failure in
• However, being an excellent project manager is not a matter of
technical expertise but of being a good organizer and communicator.
Thus, assessment of SOCIAL SKILLS should be the most important
part in selection of project managers.
• Structures clearly the discussion while being in the role of the moderator; presents and
explains the topic to be discussed and worked on; focuses the discussion on the
essentials of the topic to be discussed and the decision to be made; delegates the
solution of minor problems to a smaller group or a member of the team
Decisiveness and leadership
• Is willing to make decisions; is goal oriented in discussions; organizes meetings and
project reviews on time ; controls and supervises the progress of the project and the
quality of the results; sets observable standards of quality;
• Chooses appropriate means of communication according to purpose: phone, face-to-
face, or meeting; supports effective and efficient discussions in the team by moderating
the discussion appropriately and visualizing items to be discussed, important facts and
results. Is able to connect with people.
Conflict resolution skills
• Is willing to articulate not only ideas readily agreed upon but also takes a stance for
uncommon points of view; keeps conflicts of interest within the team; provides a framework
for conflict resolution within the team only as long as there is a realistic chance for
success.Otherwise he delegates solution of conflicts to managers at higher levels, but not
without making realistic suggestions concerning possible alternatives of further action.He
does not deny problems and includes all persons involved and necessary to solve the
Economical resource management
• Controls the budget; is sensitive to the economical aspect of decisions or additional
features that the client wants to be added to the product profile already agreed upon
Skilled in persuasion and motivation
• Is able to create a group sense of purpose. The team members identify with the goal
contract and accept the requirements. Appreciates effort and achievements. Is able to
create a sense of togetherness even in the face of problems or crises.
Since we have social skills to assess, our selection model
& methods must have:
• high structured design, application, and assessment
• they must be specifically adapted.
• each test measures a range of indicators within these
• must be objective as much as possible-different
selectors, different situations, longer period of time than
usual interview process.
The term 'Assessment Center' can be defined as:
‘A method for assessing aptitude and performance; applied to a group of
participants by trained assessors using various diagnostic processes
in order to obtain information about applicants' abilities or
The most common type of assessment center exercises include:
Group discussion exercises involve you working with other candidates as part of a team to
resolve a presented issue. These exercises are designed to measure interpersonal skills
such as group leadership, teamwork, negotiation, and group problem solving skills.
Team discussion: „deadline in danger“
Scenario: “Further unexpected problems arise. These can be partially traced to a decision
made during an early phase of the project. At the time there was disagreement among the
team members concerning this decision. Meeting the deadline seems almost impossible
unless members of the team are willing to put a great deal of extra effort into solving the
problems and postponing other obligations.”
Role Playing is a type of assessment center exercise where the candidate assumes the role
of the incumbent of the position and must deal with another person in a job- related
situation. A trained role player is used and responds quot;in characterquot; to the actions of the
candidate. Performance is assessed by observing raters.
- Role play “meeting with a member of a team”
“the project manager is repeatedly dissatisfied with the quality of work done by one of the team
members. He needs to clarify the expectations in regard to quality and meeting deadlines.
He is expected to establish a commitment for the goal of the project.”
• Before beginning of the assessment process - Matrix of dimensions to
be evaluated (rows) and assessment exercises in which they are mainly
observable (columns). Indicators Check list.
• At the end of this selection process, we have results for each person
participated. We measured her/his social skills.
• Beside the selection process, results of the assessment center can have
and additional purpose: development potential of employees, what
competences need to be developed among employees, important
impulse leading to further organizational development…
• Assessment Centers may be conducted by HR personnel within the
employer company or by outside consultants.
• The expense of conducting an assessment center is usually somewhere
between $1,000 and $5,000 per candidate (USA).
• They are commonly held either on employers’ premises or in a hotel.
• For management position it last usually two days