HOW TO TEACH SOMESOUNDS IN ENGLISH? Strategies to teach pronunciation
Sound: /θ/1. The teacher tells students a very short story. Kathy is a young woman who was going to move a new apartment. She needed some help so she asked her friends: Theo and Thelma. The move goes well. And, what happened at the end???
2. The teacher shows students what happened at the end of the story in a sentence. Kathy thanked both Theo and Thelma for everything.3. Students realize the sentences is a little bit difficult to pronounce because there is a strange sound for them.
4. The teacher explains the sound: /θ/ = TH5. In order to practice this sound, the teacher show students three words: LENGTH WIDTH DEPTH6. Then, the teacher shows a lunchbox and indicate:
7. The teacher shows a city map. Students can see streets, avenues, places, and people who are there. Hathaway theather Arthur North Avenue 7 5 Smith kathy bakery 6 T 4 T T H 3 T H H Dr. R Thayer H ia y D Cy nth n wa o rto Theo Th Thackery park South Avenue
8. The teacher gives some examples to make the exercise. Where does Kathy live? She lives on North Avenue. Who lives close to Kathy? Theo. 9. The students work with the partner for a short time.
10. Finally, the teacher shows the sentence (the end of the story which the teacher read in the beginning of the class) Kathy thanked both Theo and Thelma for everything.11.The students can read this sentence easily because they were practicing the sound TH in several contexts.
Sounds: /s/ - /ʃ /1. The teacher shows these two pictures.2. The teacher asks students: What sound does the snake? What sound does the snake? Ssssssssssssssssss Ssssssssssssssssss What are Laurel and Hardy doing? What are Laurel and Hardy doing? They are saying: shhhhhh They are saying: shhhhhh
3. The teacher explains the sounds with some examples.4. Then, the teacher shows a flipchart with many words in a box using the sounds: /s/ - / ʃ /. SHE CLASH SEE SHELL SUIT SHOOT SHIP SEA CLASS SIP SELL BLUSH SEAT CRASH SHEET SHOP SOME SHIFT SAND FISH SERIOUS STONE PUBLISH STEP FLASH SYSTEM BRUSH SAY STUFF FRESH
5. Two students go to the board. Each student has a flyswatter.6. One student of the class says one word of thebox. The students who are in front of the board puthis flyswatter on the word quickly and say the wordaloud. The student who put the flyswatter first winsthe game.
Sounds: /s/ - /z/1. The teacher shows the following pictures.2. The teacher asks students: What sound does the snake? Ssssssssssssssssss What sound does the bee? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
3. The teacher explains what the difference between these two sounds is. The teacher gives some examples.4. Then, the students make a circle to start a game.5. The teacher explains the game: “The Blighted phone”.
6. The teacher has a piece of paper with many words. The teacher tells a student one word (any of them) in his ear. Words: seek, zeal, sack, zoom, sun, buzz, surf, zap, soup, peace, hers , gas, bus, nurse, juice, lose7. Each student passes the word, (the student has to pronounce well in order not to blight the phone), and the last student tells the word aloud. (The student who starts the game changes in order that all students participate).