Global Warming


Published on

A breif presentation on global warming.

Published in: Business, Technology
1 Like
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Global Warming

  1. 1. Global Warming Presented By: Turner Lane Consulting Corporation
  2. 2. A Quick Glance … The Earth's average temperature rose about 0.6° Celsius (1.1° Fahrenheit) in the 20th century. 11/22/2009 Turner Lane Consulting Corporation 2
  3. 3. Global Warming/Climate Change …  The terms ―global warming‖ and ―climate change‖ are often used interchangeably;  Technically, ―global warming‖ refers to an increase in the average temperature of the troposphere (the lowest part of the earth’s atmosphere) and it’s usually used to refer to the warming caused by greenhouse gases emitted by human activities; and  ―Climate change‖ refers to any extended change in climate (including temperature, precipitation, wind, and other meteorological elements) and it’s usually used to refer to the changes in climate that result from global warming. 11/22/2009 Turner Lane Consulting Corporation 3
  4. 4. Climate Change Reaction Global Warming GHG Emissions Population 11/22/2009 Turner Lane Consulting Corporation 4
  5. 5. Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG) …  GHG emissions represent gases in the atmosphere that trap the sun's energy and thereby contribute to rising surface temperatures, including: 1. Carbon Dioxide – CO2 (by product of burning fossil fuels); 2. Methane – CH4 (from agricultural sources); 3. Nitrous Oxide – N2O (from industrial sources); 4. Sulphur Hexafluoride – SF6; 5. Perfluorocarbons – PFCs; and 6. Hydrofluorocarbons – HFCs. 11/03/2009 Turner Lane Consulting Corporation 5
  6. 6. The Potential Impacts of Global Warming …  If the global temperature continues to climb, it is predicted that Arctic summer sea ice will disappear by 2080 and that weather patterns will change globally;  Such changes could include heat waves, droughts, an increase in heavy rain and more intense storms;  In Europe, rising temperatures could turn much of Spain, Italy and Greece into deserts;  Northern Europe, including Britain, would face more floods, heat waves and stronger storms;  Much of Australia would become uninhabitable; and  By 2100, sea levels are likely to rise between 7 to 23 inches, and the changes now underway will continue for centuries to come. 11/22/2009 Turner Lane Consulting Corporation 6
  7. 7. Global Perspective …  Human activity emits roughly 32 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2)—the primary greenhouse gas— into the atmosphere each year;  Worldwide, about 80 percent of those emissions come from the combustion of oil, coal, natural gas, and other fossil fuels; the remaining 20 percent comes from deforestation;  Because plants take in CO2, removing them releases some or all of that carbon;  Currently, in any given year, the equivalent of about half of total CO2 emissions are absorbed by the world’s oceans, soil, and vegetation, which make up the natural reservoirs through which carbon flows over time; and  The other half, 16 billion tonnes of those emissions remain in the atmosphere. 11/22/2009 Turner Lane Consulting Corporation 7
  8. 8. Tonne of CO2 Equivalent …  GHG emissions are measured in tonnes of CO2 equivalent: One metric tonne = 1,000 Kilograms  The volume of one tonne of GHG emissions would fill a two story, three-bedroom house; and  Each North America roughly is responsible for more than five tonnes of GHG emissions a year. 11/22/2009 Turner Lane Consulting Corporation 8
  9. 9. What is Green …  Green means applying a holistic approach to design, demolition, construction, and remodelling that minimizes a structure’s impact on the environment, the occupants, and the community by creating measures to reduce impacts including but not limited to the following:  Site planning, energy efficiency, water efficiency, materials and resource efficiency, indoor air quality and environmental quality. 11/22/2009 Turner Lane Consulting Corporation 9
  10. 10. Benefits for Businesses …  Reduce operating costs (energy, water, resource use);  Improve employee and customer health;  Enhance employee productivity;  Meet government regulations;  Receive potential tax breaks for energy efficiency and renewable energy;  Utilize materials and resources that have less environmental impact;  Etc. 11/22/2009 Turner Lane Consulting Corporation 10
  11. 11. Benefits for Town/Residents  Healthier community;  Enhanced employee productivity;  Reduced operating costs;  Reduced utility costs;  Better quality of life;  Better local economy;  Better public transit;  More open space;  Less trash in our landfills;  Less demand on infrastructure;  More productive local businesses; and  Better home resale marketing potential. 11/22/2009 Turner Lane Consulting Corporation 11