http://www.slideshare.net/mikefasthttp://schoolsofmission.wordpress.comhttp://schoolsofmission.com THEOLOGY & ORDINATION in Philippine Context SOM-TOPC-04 PNEUMATOLOGY - WWW (THE DOCTRINE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT)
WORD: cognition Evangelical: Conservative Middle-aged denominations; Buzzword: “Biblical” KATOTOHANAN: bottom line ANAK: favorite MOT? WONDER: affect Epistles (Wisdom.): camp-out Charismatic: Independent? Preaching: central event Very young, post-denom. Buzzword: “Spirit-filled” KAPANGYARIHAN: bottom lineWORK: volition ESPIRITU SANTO: favorite MOTConciliar: Traditional Acts (Historical): camp-outOlder denominations; Mainline: Worship: central event Buzzword: "Relevant, Incarnational" PAG-IBIG: bottom line AMA: favorite MOT? Gospels (Prophets): camp-out Liturgy: central event Stephen M. Spaulding, Dawn Ministries, 1998
Tensions: Charismatic PracticeCHARISMATIC BALANCE CONSERVATIVERADICAL MODERATE CONSERVATIVELEFT MIDDLE RIGHT
Tensions: Charismatic Practice CHARISMATIC BALANCE CONSERVATIVE RADICAL MODERATE CONSERVATIVE Radikal (Left Wing) LEFT MIDDLE RIGHT 9 gifts (listed 1Co 12) Sensational & Supernatural Experiencially rather than exegetically or historically defined – reading into the text / prooftexting Continued revelation (adding to & allegorizing Bible) Tendency to become occultic (channelling, angels) Individualised personal power building..
Tensions: Charismatic Practice CHARISMATIC BALANCE CONSERVATIVE RADICAL MODERATE CONSERVATIVE Right (Conservative) LEFT MIDDLE RIGHT Dispensationalists, etc. Signs & Wonders ceased with the Apostles Prophecy is the same in OT & NT..
Tensions: Charismatic Practice CHARISMATIC BALANCE CONSERVATIVE RADICAL MODERATE CONSERVATIVE Moderate / Middle LEFT MIDDLE RIGHT All gifts are potentially operative Don’t have to be operative There are more gifts than those listed in the Bible Exist already in the day-to-day operations of local churches Less sensational than believed by Radicals Fallible & subject to testing by the Word ..
Tensions: Charismatic Practice Sino ang tama? Sino ang mali? Nasaan ba tayo? .CHARISMATIC BALANCE CONSERVATIVERADICAL MODERATE CONSERVATIVELEFT MIDDLE RIGHT
Tensions: Baptism of the HS?1. Ac 2:4, et al (Baptist) This is the beginning of the church age. Refers only to regeneration/New birth RC, Anglican, Lutheran slant – BHS is tied to Water Baptism a. Baptism of HS b. Baptism of HSa. Salvation b. Water Baptism
Tensions: Baptism of the HS?2. Holiness / Wesleyan 2nd work of grace that sanctifies Different from regeneration 2nd Work: Baptism of HS 1st Work: RegenerationSalvation Sanctification
Tensions: Baptism of the HS?3. Keswick / CMA (CAMACOP) Subsequent experience of empowering for service Element of sanctification FB Meyer, Andrew Murray, RA Torrey, Tozer 1st Work: Regeneration 2nd Work: Baptism of HSSalvation Empowerment & Sanctification
Tensions: Baptism of the HS?4. Pentecostal Holiness 3rd work of grace that empowers for service 3rd Work: 2nd Work Baptism of 1st Work: HS RegenerationSalvation Sanctification Empowerment for Service
Tensions: Baptism of the HS?5. Classical Pentecostalism / AOG Close to #3, above (Keswick / CMA) 2 works of grace Regeneration & B of HS (Speaking in Tongues) Empowerment for service Sanctification 1st Work: Regeneration 2nd Work: Baptism of HSSalvation Empowerment & Sanctification
Issues regarding the role of the HS Key issues of current significance in the 20th c. regarding the role of the HS in the life of the believer & the church
Issues regarding the role of the HS1. Ano bang "IpinangakongAma"?2. Kailan ang Simula ng Iglesya?3. How do we describe the work of the HS in Acts? Paano ilarawan ang trabaho ng Espirtu Santo sa “Mga Gawa”?4. Ano bang pakikipagrelasyon ng Filling, Coming upon, Baptism, Empowering, Pouring out, Receiving, Gift , etc. of the HS?
Issues regarding the role of the HS5. The Baptism of the HS vs A Baptism of the HS6. Does Baptism of the HS relate to Inner sanctification OR to Service & Witness?7. John 16:13 – guide whom?8. Are all the Spiritual Gifts valid today?
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Ac 1:4 – ―… wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.‖ "… hintayin ninyo roon ang ipinangako ng Ama na sinabi ko na sa inyo."
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Luke 24:49 – ―I am going to send you what my Father has promised ….‖ "… isusugo ko sa inyo ang ipinangako ng aking Ama …."
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Acts 2:33 – ―he has received from the Father the promised HS & has poured out what you now see & hear.‖ "… at tinanggap niya mula sa Ama ang ipinangakong Espiritu Santo. Ito ang kanyang ibinuhos sa amin, tulad ng inyong nakikita at naririnig."
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Lu 3:16 – ―John answered them all, ―I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the HS & fire.‖
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Lu 24:45-49 – ―45 Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. 46 He told them, This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer & rise from the dead on the third day, 47 & repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 You are witnesses of these things. 49 I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.‖ is related to the mission & is an empowerment
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Ac 1:4-5 – ―4 … he gave them this command: Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the HS.‖ Ac 1:8 – ―But you will receive power when the HS comes on you; & you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, & in all Judea & Samaria, & to the ends of the earth.‖
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Ac 2:38-39 – ―38 Peter replied, Repent & be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the HS. 39 The promise is for you & your children & for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.‖
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Ac 8:13-19 – ―13 Simon himself believed & was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs & miracles he saw. 14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter & John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the HS, 16 because the HS had not ….‖
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Ac 8:13-19 – ―…. yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter & John placed their hands on them, & they received the HS. 18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles’ hands, he offered them money 19 & said, Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the HS.‖
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Ac 10:44-47 – ―44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the HS came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the HS had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues & praising God. Then Peter said, 47 Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the HS just as we have.‖
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Ac 2:4 – ―All of them were filled with the HS & began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.‖ "at silang lahat ay napuspos ng Espiritu Santo at nagsimulang magsalita ng ibat ibang wika, ayon sa ipinagkaloob sa kanila ng Espiritu."
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Ac 4:31 – ―After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the HS & spoke the word of God boldly.‖ "Pagkatapos nilang manalangin, nayanig ang kanilang pinagtitipunan. Silang lahat ay napuspos ng Espiritu Santo at buong tapang na nangaral ng salita ng Diyos."
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama 16 At naalala ko ang sinabi ng Panginoon, Si Juan ay nagbabautismo sa tubig, ngunit babautismuhan kayo ng Espiritu Santo. 17 Kung binigyan sila ng Diyos ng kaloob na tulad ng ibinigay niya sa atin noong tayoy manalig sa Panginoong Jesu- Cristo, sino ako para hadlangan ang Diyos?" 18 Nang marinig nila ito, tumigil na sila ng pagtuligsa at sa halip ay nagpuri sa Diyos. Sabi nila, "Kung gayon, ang mga Hentil man ay binigyan din ng Diyos ng pagkakataong magsisit magbagong-buhay upang maligtas!"
1. Ang Ipinangako ng Ama Based on the above, what is the ―Promise of the Father‖? God promised that he would send the HS … As a gift; As an indication of the start of their ministry; For empowerment in ministry
2. When did the church start? Jesus said it was future. Mt 16:18 – ―And I tell you that you are Peter, & on this rock I will build my church, & the gates of Hades will not overcome it.‖ The church could not start as a body without a head & that required the death & resurrection of Jesus Christ. Ephesians 1:20 – ―which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead & seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms ….‖
2. When did the church start? Jesus said it was future. The church could not be a functioning organism without possessing the gifts, which were not given until after the ascension. Ephesians 4:7-12 – ―But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it.…It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, & some to be pastors & teachers, to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up.‖
2. When did the church start? The point of the mystery. Ephesians 3:4-6 – ―… the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to men in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles & prophets. This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, & sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.‖ Colossians 1:26 – ―… the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages & generations, but is now disclosed to the saints.‖
2. When did the church start? The Church started at Pentecost. Something unique started here with the coming of the HS
2. When did the church start? The Church & Israel. Is there forever a difference between ―NT Christians‖ & ―OT Saints‖? The Bible speaks of a new people being formed, made up of those saved in both the OT & in the NT. The Children of Israel have been united with the nations to form the church–the body of Christ. ..
3. How do we describe the work of the HS in Acts?
3. Work of the HS in Acts Prescriptive vs Descriptive Narrative literature describes events as they happened & includes the good with the bad. We should not necessarily expect the same things to happen in our time We should not necessarily imitate what we read
3. Work of the HS in Acts1. Archetypical? Minsan lang ba? Some things are done to make a point & are not intended to be repeated Ac 5:1-11 – Ananias &Saphira
3. Work of the HS in Acts2. Dispensationally initiatory? Simula ba ng Panahon? Some things are done to start a new era of history & are not intended to be repeated Ac 10:9-23 – Peters Vision of the sheet Ac 2, 4 – You only start the church once – it never ceases to exist
3. Work of the HS in Acts3. Sustainable/Repeatable? Pa ulit ulit ba? Some things are started & intended to be repeated
4. Ano bangpakikipagrelasyon ng … Baptism of the HS, Filling of the HS, Coming upon of the HS, Pouring out of the HS, Etc.?
4. Ano bang pakikipagrelasyon ng…Filling, Coming upon, Baptism, Empowering, Pouringout, Receiving, Gift, etc. of the HS … Key questions: How do they relate to each other? Pareho ba o Iba? How do they relate to 1Co 12:13? How do they relate to conversion/regeneration? How do they relate to the manifestation of the gifts, etc.?
4. Ano bang pakikipagrelasyon ng…Filling, Coming upon, Baptism, Empowering, Pouring out, Receiving, Gift,etc. of the HS …1. Baptism of the HS? 1Co 12:13 – ―Maging Judio o Hentil, alipin man o malaya, tayong lahat ay binautismuhan sa iisang Espiritu upang maging isang katawan. Tayong lahat ay pinainom sa iisang Espiritu." Ac 1:5 – "Juan ay nagbautismo sa tubig, ngunit di na magtatagal at babautismuhan kayo sa Espiritu Santo."
4. Ano bang pakikipagrelasyon ng…Filling, Coming upon, Baptism, Empowering, Pouringout, Receiving, Gift, etc. of the HS …1. Baptism of the HS? Ro 6:3-5 – ―Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life. If we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his.‖
4. Ano bang pakikipagrelasyon ng…Filling, Coming upon, Baptism, Empowering, Pouring out, Receiving, Gift,etc. of the HS …1. Baptism of the HS? Ga 3:27-28 – ‖... for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, neither slave nor free, neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.‖
4. Ano bang pakikipagrelasyon ng…Filling, Coming upon, Baptism, Empowering, Pouringout, Receiving, Gift, etc. of the HS …2. Filling of the HS? John 9 times in Luke-Acts: Lu 1:15, 41, 67 – ―15 ... for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, & he will be filled with the HS even before he is born.... 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, & Elizabeth was filled with the HS....67 His father Zechariah was filled with the HS& prophesied ....‖ Elisabeth Zechariah: Special
4. Ano bang pakikipagrelasyon ng…Filling, Coming upon, Baptism, Empowering, Pouringout, Receiving, Gift, etc. of the HS … Apostles: 1st fulfilment2. Filling of the HS? of Promise of Father 9 times in Luke-Acts: Ac 2:4 – ―All of them were filled with the HS& began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.‖ Ac 4:8, 31 – ―8 Then Peter, filled with the HS, said to them: ―Rulers & elders of the people! .... ―31 After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the HS& spoke the word of God boldly.‖ Disciples: Prayer Meeting Peter: Special
4. Ano bang pakikipagrelasyon ng…Filling, Coming upon, Baptism, Empowering, Pouringout, Receiving, Gift, etc. of the HS …2. Filling of the HS? Paul: Promise of Father & 9 times in Luke-Acts: Empowerment Ac 9:17 – ―Then Ananias went to the house & entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, Brother Saul, the Lord—Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here—has sent me so that you may see again &be filled with the HS.‖ Ac 13:9,52 – ―9 Then Saul, who was also called Paul, filled with the HS, looked straight at Elymas .... 52 And the disciples were filled with joy & with the HS.‖ Paul: Special Disciples
4. Ano bang pakikipagrelasyon ng…Filling, Coming upon, Baptism, Empowering, Pouringout, Receiving, Gift, etc. of the HS …3. Coming upon of the HS? Ac 11:15 – ―As I began to speak, the HS came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. Cornelius’ Household: Promise of the Father
4. Ano bang pakikipagrelasyon ng…Filling, Coming upon, Baptism, Empowering, Pouringout, Receiving, Gift, etc. of the HS … Baptised Empowered Came upon Poured out The promise of the Filled Father Pangako ng Ama Received Gift
5. The Baptism of the HS vs A Baptism of the HS
5. The Baptism vs A Baptism Our discussion above indicated that B of HS is a very flexible phrase that is used biblically to describe a variety of HS-related events. These events cover all areas of Christian experience from salvation to the Christian life Filling, Coming upon, Baptism, Empowering, Pouring out, Receiving, Gift, etc. of the HS We cannot identify one of them as being special baptism as opposed to the others. ..
6. Does Baptism of the HS relate to … Inner sanctification? OR Service & Witness?
6. Sanctification or Service?1. Inner sanctification? YES If by sanctification you mean regeneration; B of HS refers specifically to that act of the HS that places the believer into the body of Christ at the moment of their salvation / conversion; It is a sovereign work of the HS It does not refer to a 2nd event that makes the believer more holy than he already became at regeneration ..
6. Sanctification or Service?2. Service & Witness? YES Because the term is also used interchangeably with many other HS-related words, it can also refer to the continuous filling or empowerment of the believer throughout their Christian life. It is a responsive work of the HS It refers to events that empower believers to perform the job of the Great Commission ..
7. John 16:13 – Guide Whom? John 16:13 – ―But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, & he will tell you what is yet to come.‖ Sino ’to? Until 2nd coming? Hanggang kailan?
7. John 16:13 – Guide Whom? There is no indication there that the HS will stop guiding the church before the return of Christ. In fact, the context is that the HS will come to be with the church as it goes through persecution. Not much of a comfort if he leaves ½ way through!
8. Spiritual Gifts What is the nature of spiritual gifts? How do we define them? Are they spiritual or experiencial? How supernatural are they? How many are there?
8. Spiritual Gifts: Words – ―grace‖ Gift of Grace = gift of Jesus Christ (ie. salvation) – ―act kindly / graciously‖
8. Spiritual Gifts: Words carisma – ―gift of God’s grace;‖ ―spiritual gifts‖ 17 times in NT Romans – 6 times 1 Corinthians – 7 times Other Pauline – 3 times Non-Pauline – 1 time [1Pe 4:10] – ―to give‖ Used with in Eph 4:7-8; Ro 5:15-16
8. Spiritual Gifts: Defined carismata are any graciously conferred gift or help or ministration rooted in the HS’s personal presence in the believer & used technically by Paul to describe specifically & distinctively unique, graciously bestowed, somewhat extraordinary, spiritual powers (abilities) outworking through each believer for the benefit of the Christian community. It is an essential aspect of each believer’s involvement in the community. – Ken Davis
8. Spiritual Gifts: Defined1. carismata is a hard to define word2. There are multiple gifts (not just those listed)3. All gifts are equal4. Tongues almost die out after 1Co 14 – little reference to them in the church Fathers5. Prophecy is not predictive nor prescriptive nor revelatory
Gifts: Cessation vs Non-Cessation 2 basic positions Refers to what are considered to be the more supernatural gifts (sign gifts) Cessationist Non-Cessationist Cessation – from the word ―cease‖ Each has 3 sub-points.
Gifts: Cessation vs Non-Cessation Cessationist: Miraculous Gifts Ceased w/ 12 The More Miraculous Gifts Ceased w/ the 12 Observation based upon historical misunderstanding Not textually justified Proponent(s): Augustine, Calvin, BB Warfield.
Gifts: Cessation vs Non-Cessation Cessationist: Dispensational The revelatory gifts (Tongues, prophecy, knowledge) and Apostolic offices (Apostles, prophets) have ceased & were never intended for the church Theologically based rather than textual or historical Proponent(s): Dallas TS, Unger, Walrood.
Gifts: Cessation vs Non-Cessation Cessationist: Fundamentalist Exegetical Similar to A & B Attempt exegetical-textual base Christ & Apostles represent the full, final, totally sufficent revelation of God and anything that threatens that is dangerous. Assumes revelatory girfts have ceased. Proponent(s): Pickford.
Gifts: Cessation vs Non-Cessation Non-Cessationist: Moderate Exegetical Say that Cessationists 1. Cessationists argue from no clear texts 2. Cessationists have no historical basis 3. Cessationists use wrong definitions of ―charismata‖ All gifts have always been present although not always identified Gifts don’t necessarily cease (it’s up to God) Many kinds of gifts available Proponent(s): Carson, Dunn.
Gifts: Cessation vs Non-Cessation Non-Cessationist: Early Classical Pentecostal 9 gifts Missing for many centuries but recently restored at the end of this time (especially tongues & healing) B of HS is a special experience (post-conversion) proven by speaking in tongues Opens the door to using the other gifts.
Gifts: Cessation vs Non-Cessation Non-Cessationist: General Charismatic Movements Since 1950s Many gifts Gifts are released by B of HS Tongues not necessary for proof Bring in prophecy Use OT prophetic definitions [DANGEROUS!!] ..
Wonders: A Proposed Solution1. The true Christian faith is … the gospel as revealed by Jesus & through his original chosen apostles affirmed by scripture consistent with the witness of the early church Deviation from the biblical faith must be rejected even if from those claiming divine authority even if accompanied by signs & wonders..
Wonders: A Proposed Solution2. This faith was meant to be exciting & alive. Gods current activity will not contradict the scriptures..
Wonders: A Proposed Solution3. There is only one Gospel. Reject theology that claims some of Gods purposes have been withheld but will be restored in the end times..
Wonders: A Proposed Solution4. Spirit Baptism= coming of HS into the life of a repentant believer which makes possible spiritual manifestations & spiritual maturity. Spirit Filling= constant maintenance of that Spirit presence in the life of the believer. Reject idea that NT teaches any one post- salvation second blessing..
Wonders: A Proposed Solution5. Bible doesn’t prohibit any gifts. Giving or withholding gifts is up to HS. Including healing Suffering through sickness may be for good in the plan of God Healing today doesn’t even come close to the miracles of Jesus & the 12 Apostles
Wonders: A Proposed Solution5. Bible doesn’t prohibit any gifts. Giving or withholding gifts is up to HS. Including revelatory gifts (eg. Prophecy, tongues, knowledge) Provided they are not a substitute for the Word of God Exclusively for the comfort & edification of believers Rarely predictive Never authoritative
Wonders: A Proposed Solution5. Bible doesn’t prohibit any gifts. Giving or withholding gifts is up to HS. Accountable to … The Bible Testing by church leaders The fruit of the Spirit..
Wonders: A Proposed Solution6. The manifestation of the spirit is a partnership of 2 forms … Spiritual gifts Fruits of the spirit All manifestations must honour Jesus Christ..
Wonders: A Proposed Solution7. Absolute sovereignty of HS in all spiritual manifestations. We shouldnt attempt to manipulate, command, artificially induce, or encourage displays of them..
Wonders: A Proposed Solution8. All who confess Jesus as the divine Savior & Lord, who are born again, & who uphold the essentials of the biblical faith are spiritually unified. This unity serves as a witness to the world. Not unity because of shared charismatic experience..
Wonders: A Proposed Solution9. The Gospel is adequateto convict of sin & bring sinners to salvation. When proclaimed in the power of the HS & authority of Christ Reject idea that sign & wonders are necessary for effective church growth & evangelism..
Wonders: A Proposed Solution10. ―Charismatically‖ Oriented Worship leads to an increase in spiritual intimacy, relevancy, Christ-centeredness, & joyful celebration. Other forms of worship are equally valid..
Wonders: A Proposed Solution11. Spiritual Warfare is real & serious. Reject unbiblical focus on these issues..
Class Project Create a statement of your beliefs reflecting the truths we learned in Word, Work, & Wonder.
Class Project Therefore, the church, being grounded on the word, gifted by the HS, & fruitful through community work; rightfully divides the word of truth (2Ti 2:15), Humbly acknowledges thediversity of the work of the holy spirit (1Co 12:7- 11), & obediently lives out its faith in service to all (Ja 2:26). Amen.