Tech afternoon - IoT, Mikael Falkvidd, Independent IoT consultant
The challenge is no longer technology or economy- it´s for us to imagine useful scenarios
Everything that can be connected will be connected and Gartner predicts that 2020 we will have 20 Billion connected devices, others say 50. We need to learn and explore the future business value.
Mikael has a MsC in computer communications. He has experience from Ericsson and OP5 but has also been a freelancer writer for a Swedish computer magazine where he had to stay relevant and learn about the latest and most exciting technologies.
Enheter att ta med: finska tempsensorn, lilla vita, ett modem, oyster, enless
Worked at Accenture, where I learned to find the value and present the value in a good way. Worked as Development Team Lead at OP5, a software company for collecting data MySensors is an open source project helping people create their own cheap wireless IoT devices. Freelance writer for Swedish computer magazine Datormagazin where I get paid to try and learn about the latest and most exciting things. I've written 80+ articles in Datormagazin, most recently about an IoT conference I Amsterdam. The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) is a worldwide not-for-profit charitable organization focused on improving the security of software.
I’ll cover connectivity options and cost I’ll show you some devices that can be bought off the shelf Example business case from one of my recent projects
Physical devices (thermometers, door sensors, motion detectors, GPS, …) Connected: Information can be made available from anywhere – no need to be in the same physical place
So we need connectivity and we need devices. I’ll cover both of these. Let’s start with connectivity, but first…
Preventive maintenance Automated decisions – order new chemicals when tank is getting low Connecting cars enabled Sunfleet so sell rent by the hour and distance – automated
Launched during mobile workd congress just a few weeks ago
Uses same idea as early communication with submarines.
Long battery life means less maintenance – if you have 100 devices that need battery replacement every 6 months you’ll need to change batteries in one unit per day on average.
Commerical networks exist. Sigfox largest provider.
Roaming is included
Red means good coverage (Sigfox is a French company) This is official coverage. Over water, range is usually better than what the official coverage shows. With Sigfox, 90-100km range is routinely observed in the English Channel and the Mediterranean.
More than 1,000 different Sigfox devices exist already. I’ll show you some examples.
Temp and air humidity Easy installation ~100EUR (1 000 SEK) in small volumes. Connectivity 5 years included. Online dashboard included. CO2 version also exists. Measure air in conference rooms so people can stay productive and not make bad decisions
Made by a Czech company Simple as Czech beer. Cheap as Czech beer. 15 EUR. 50,000 items ready for delivery. Waterproof Battery life :3,600 messages Alert when moved (door, drawer, bike, car, house) Tracking (luggage, asset, pallet) Tracing (real time journey tracing of a package and any impact) Fall with G-force recording Vibration while engine runs Door banging Truck running Crane arm moving Traffic signage displacement
Manufacturing cost: 0.3EUR Christophe Fourtet, co-founder Sigfox Many other use cases. Detect when emergency exits are opened, life saving equipment is removed, …
Airbus uses IoT to track spare parts
Build the transporter to spec, send it to the customer. 25 employees A few years later the customer calls ”Torsås, we have a problem”. Bad start, slow feedback. Preventive maintenance – offer the customer the right service at the right price An ”excuse” to call the customer. ”Your transporter has just passed 1000h running time and I’d like to check in and make sure everything is alright. Do you need anything else?” Sell the data back to the customer Business model transformation – sell ”cubic meters of transported stuff” instead of selling machines.
Time from initial meeting to first live installation: 6 business weeks Battery life: 5-10 years
Phase 2 includes collecting ideas from employees and customers. When they se what we’ve done so far, they start bubbling with ideas. Get the snowball rolling.
Don’t let lack of budget stop you – start simple.
Humans make mistakes. Computers do what we tell them, but they are consistent.
Chalmers thesis worker: pH levels in Swedish lakes. Manually once per month, or automatially every hour?
Predictive maintenance. Better comfort and lower cost for indoor climate.
Track deliveries from vendors or to customers.
What is frustrating, takes too much time or costs too much money today?
What data could help us better serve our customers. How can we offer the customer what they need before they know they need it? Paper towels in public restrooms.
Mikael Falkvidd IoT - Stena AB Faster Forward
About Mikael Falkvidd
• IoT consultant, Falkvidd Holding
AB and DigiNav AB
• Past positions
• Development Team Lead, OP5
• IT Consultant, Accenture
• Product Owner, Ericsson
• Solution Architect, Ericsson
Core team member 80+ published articles in Board member
https://twitter.com/mfalkvidd / @mfalkvidd
Today’s hashtag: #Fasterforward
• What is IoT and why is it useful?
• No I without connectivity
• No T without devices
• No win without business
What is IoT (Internet of Things)?
• Physical devices
• Connect the digital and physical world
• Collect data cheaply
• Asset tracking: where is my goods/equipment/tool/machine
• Environmental information: temperature, CO2, pH, particles
• Resources: battery level, tank level
• Usage: water, fuel, electricity
• Better decision making
• New business models
IoT connectivity – cellular/mobile
• Used to cost about 1 EUR/month if you buy really large
volumes (>100,000). Roaming expensive.
• Today: as low as 10 EUR for 10 years (0.5GB data maximum).
Roaming in EU+Norway+Switzerland included.
• Still draws a lot of power though (~6 months battery life).
NB-IoT and LTE-M promises to take care of this, but is not
• Focused on connecting humans
IoT connectivity – LPWAN
• New take on old technology.
• 5-10 years battery life
• Commercial networks, build your own or hybrid.
• Focused on connecting things
• Low total cost
• No need to connect power or replace batteries
• ~10 EUR per year connectivity cost
• Low cost devices
LPWAN example: Sigfox
• Rollout in Sweden started July
• 60% population coverage by end
• Expansion continues during
• Global network: Currently 45
countries, 60 planned by end of
• Make sure your customer’s
goods have connectivity during
the entire journey
• No need to get a mobile
• A global leader within container
shipping and who operates in
more than 100 countries, is
working with Sigfox to provide
coverage on board their vessels
• Lots of different sensors
• Easy installation
Tallink Spa & Conference Hotel -
measuring water and air quality
• Analyze real-time data
• Detect problems before
they even occur
• Prevent downtime
• Develop new
Sensolus offers an end-to-end
It notifies Airbus about its
assets’ trips and give insights
on supply chain optimization.
The device embeds an
internal memory to record
data when outside of
Track spare parts between the headquarters and
the sites of its suppliers
Cross country tracking without
high roaming fees
Real-time visibility on the
asset during transportation
Automation of the supply
Industrial asset management
GPS + BLE tracker for indoor
and outdoor geolocation
Find business opportunities
• IoT won’t add value by itself
• People who understand the business are best equipped to come up
with new ideas
• Working together with someone technical can be a great combination
Find business opportunities
• Important data that is collected manually today
• What if it could be done automatically (less cost, better consistency)
• What if data was colleccted more often (ex: hourly instead of
• Data that isn’t available today that could help you
• Make better decisions
• Find new ways to help your customers
• Find new ways of doing business
Imagine useful scenarios that have the
potential to deliver business value
Test your idea
IoT can be easy, cheap and incredibly
• IoT devices are cheaper than you think
• IoT is easier to use than you think
• IoT connectivity is cheaper than you think
• LPWAN opens new possibilities (private base stations, better
coverage, better battery life)
Parking space management
• Improve parking policies
• Obtain turnover information in real
• Guide drivers more efficiently
• Have greater control over special
• Save resources through fast
• Decrease costs through easy
• Generate additional revenue
• Decrease CO2 emissions
Fastprk is an intelligent Parking
Management System that allows
cities and operators to manage
parking resources more
efficiently and parking
operators to generate additional
Fastprk offers information about
parking availability to the drivers
within blue and green spaces,
and also on loading, taxis and
disabled parking bays
Optimize parking spaces in the city